Constipation

fantailfan1

I posted a question last week on constipation. My fish is acting totally normal. The only thing is I haven't noticed her poo for a while. So I took the advice given to me here: fast for 2 days then peas for a couple of days. That's what I did: fast Friday and Saturday then 2-3 peas (I don't remember) on Sunday. So far I haven't noticed any poo and I've been watching her quite carefully. She's still acting normal and devoured the peas like she hadn't seen food in weeks!!

So my question is: should I have her fast for a couple days again and then try peas with Epsom salt or is it not good to have her fast so close together like that? Does she need pellets so she gets more nutrients? It seems like that would only make the constipation worse though. It's also crossed my mind that maybe she has pooped and I just didn't see it? And I call her a her but I'm not positive it's a female fish. It's my daughter's fish and everything she owns must be a girl!! :)

Also one more question: I've always fed her flakes but after finding this forum and reading all the praise about ProGold I switched to that. Could that be causing the constipation (pellets v flakes) or is it probably just a coincidence?

BTW: ammonia 0 nitrite 0.25 (still cycling) nitrate 5.0 I did a 50% water change yesterday (37 gallon tank) and added Prime and salted the water. There is one other fish in the tank who I have seen poop (I think it was yesterday?)

It could very well be that you are not seeing it. Often I don't see mine defecate for months.

You could fast her/him another 2 days and follow with peas for a day or two.

But since the fish isn't showing any sickness I wouldn't worry at this point to much, just watch him closely.

Archived