Water Changes

Guest shygirl0787

Guest shygirl0787

Hey, I was just curious about how the people with tanks over 20 gallons do water changes. I only have a 5 gallon right now, so I just let water sit out over night in a old goldfish bowl. But what do you guys use? I'm asking this because I'm upgrading my tank soon :D

If use a dechlorinator, wich you should, you can draw tapwater, treat it immediately, and within seconds, the water is ready to use. So, you dont have to let it sit out at all.

If you need to get a dechlorinator, I highly suggest Prime or Amquel Plus. Not all dechlors are creatd equal. You get MUCH more additional benefits from Prime and Amquel plus that you dont from regular dechlors. And its super concentrated so it lasts forever....

Good luck! :)

Paul

:) Aging water overnight is good.I still do that for some of my Betta's.However,when you have multiple tanks,or big tanks,having enough containers & places to keep water in gets a little out of hand. :blink: Toothy's right on with the Prime & the Amquel Plus though.That's what I use on all my tanks. ;)

Guest cshepard

I have to let my water sit in buckets for 24 hours because the Ph out of the tap is 6.6 and after a day the C02 gasses dissapate and it goes up to 8.0. I don't like to mix it right in to the tank because it makes the Ph flucuate too much. It''s a 120 g. tank so I always have 60 g of water sitting in the closet. (There MUST be a better way -LOL)

If you get a cabinet stand with your new tank it may be large enough to hide a bucket of water in, if you need to go that way.

What you add to your water depends what's in your water. What I did was contacted my city's water department and they were more than happy to help. I let them know I was setting up a new tank and needed to know such things as hardness, pH, ammonia, etc levels as well as how the water is disinfected (chlorine only or chloramines). Then you can decide what you need to keep your water in tip top shape. I've done some research on the different water conditioners (NovAqua, AmQuel, Amquel +, Prime) and what each one does and doesn't do. I'm hoping to post a chart on this website soon as I think it will be helpful to other users.

Also for larger water changes like you'll be doing with a 20 gallon, I highly recommend using a Python No Spill n Fill kit. It's a little pricey but it's definitely worth it. Check a few websites (vvvv.com and bigalsonline.com). I printed off the vvvv.com website price and my local vvvv matched it.

Good luck with the new tank!!

Archived