Jump to content

My Goldfish Was Stung By A *$()@)( Bee! :(


Guest Goldfish_Help

Recommended Posts

Guest Goldfish_Help

Hi, I just came from work and when I saw my fishtank a saw ###### bee... in the bottom of the tank dead (sorry but im just very mad) then I saw one of my goldfish looking sick, then I saw his mouth kinda a bit destroyed in the right side of the lips and part of his head a bit red.

He don't want to eat :( and is moving with pain.

Any of you can tell what to do with this? I moved the fish alone, should i use blue methylene or something else??

Quick help will be appreciated !! :(

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Wow,

I'm sorry to hear your fish has been stung by a bee, it's the first time I've heard a fish having this problem, if you could fill in all the things mentioned in the white box above, that'll give people a hand in suggesting what you could do.

The best thing you can aim for now is perfect water conditions, ie 0Ammonia/0nitrIte/0Nitrate, salt the tank to stop the wound from getting any nasty infections, and hope that when your fish got stung that the bee didn't deliver a lethal dose of poison, I'm not sure that there's anything like a bee antivenom available, maybe ring your local vet?

You've done the right thing by removing him and putting him in an unstressful environment, but keep an eye on the water parameters especially the ammonia.

Good luck, I hope there's someone else here on line that can help you better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Goldfish_Help

i dont have anything here to test ammonia nitrite and nitrate :S i will just salt the water as you mentioned, and yes i guess in the first in the world to get this... (very bad luck indeed)

someone here have any more suggestions please??? will blue methylene help in something???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I agree that the salt will help, just keep a close eye on him, if it looks like its getting infected, then get an antibacterial treatment for the water.

You can take a sample of your water to your local pet store and they can test it for you, or you can pick up a test kit.

Good luck with him, please keep us posted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

there isn't much you CAN do except monitor water quality and start feeding a madicated food.

I swiped this from some informational website ( http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/wildlife/bees.htm )

The major chemical responsible for the pain of a honey bee sting is called melittin; it stimulates the nerve endings of pain receptors in the skin. The result is a very painful sensation, which begins as a sharp pain that lasts a few minutes and then becomes a dull ache. Even up to a few days later, the tissue may still be sensitive to the touch.

The body responds to stings by liberating fluid from the blood to flush venom components from the area. This can lead to very large swelling around the sting site or in a whole portion of the body. The area is quite likely to itch.

When the sting is caused by a honey bee, the stinger usually remains in the skin when the insect leaves because the stinger is barbed. Remove the stinger as quickly as possible, because venom continues to enter the skin from the stinger for 45 to 60 seconds following a sting. Much has been written about the proper way to remove a bee stinger, but new information indicates that it doesn?t matter how you get it out as long as it is removed as soon as possible. If removed within 15 seconds of the sting, the severity of the sting is reduced.

So, it seems that its going to be a waiting game. But, for good measure, I think it would be a good idea to gently remove your sickie from the tank, into a treceptacle big enough for him to rest in, and investigate his mouth for the remnants of the stinger. Remove it if you find it.

Goood luck and let us know how hes getting along...... :unsure:

Paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Goldfish_Help
So, it seems that its going to be a waiting game. But, for good measure, I think it would be a good idea to gently remove your sickie from the tank, into a treceptacle big enough for him to rest in, and investigate his mouth for the remnants of the stinger. Remove it if you find it.

Goood luck and let us know how hes getting along...... :unsure:

Paul

386161[/snapback]

I dont see any sting on it unless the sting is very very small to see, anyway if see any sting I dont want to try to remove it because i can harm the fish :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Goldfish_Help

Update: My goldfish is almost dying right now :( , he is almost floating in the water but sometimes try to swing.

I guess this is the end of my fish...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I'm so sorry about your fish. :( Are you sure he has been stung? I suppose you bave disposed the dead bee otherwise the easiest way to check is to see if the sting is still in the tail. I wish there is more we can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Goldfish_Help

Update: Fish died one hour after I said he was almost dying.. :(

He did all he could do to fight the venom..

I guess there was nothing to do with this unlucky and strange case.. for a fish this must be compared to a human attacked by a scorpion I think.

Thanks a lot for all your quick replies and help guys, I feel very sad because my fish was very healthy and happy before the stung.

:rip:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I am so sorry hon. Wrap your dead fish in moist paper towels and put in a zip lock bag. Take to the vet and have an autospy. Because you have had 2 fish happen to this...I am now concerned for the remaining fish. With a more exclusive answer from the autospy, there usually is mentioned a medication to administer. If you need help finding a local vet that handles fish cases, give me a hollar. email is qtmonki01@gmail.com I have connections with fish specialists which will more than likely lead me to a name and number to for your area.

How the22 did a bee sting a fish anyways? I thought bees died in water hmm. Salt the pond and definatelly keep an eye on the remaining fish. Is there a way you can perhaps do a protective shield of some sort? Like some kind of small holed net to put over the pond to keep bees out? Maybe a pet store or a hardware store would have something. Mesquito netting perhaps? I think your fish may be allergic to bees. There such a thing as fish antihistamine?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...