Gel Food Floats

daryl

:saywhat I added blood worms to my normal recipe of gel food this week. And now, for the first time, the silly stuff floats. The fish swim around madly trying to find the chunks but do not look for it at the surface for nothing I feed them ever floats! :why:

So - do bloodworms float? How do I get it to sink? Freeze the stuff?

???????????????? :hummm

Guest Sacreligioushippie

I know freeze-dried bloodworms float.

No matter how long i soak those things they just won't sink. Just some food for thought.

~ Jessica

My blood worms sink, perhaps you have a different variety? :lol:

It is more likely the preparation of the gelfood rather than the blood worms making it float, if you don't mind me saying so.

Did you do anything different this time? My understanding is that if you add the gelatine solution to the blender you will get floating gelfood because of the tiny air bubbles that get trapped during the agitation.

If you allow the blended mix to settle and then stir in the gelatine solution you should end up with sinking food.

You probably know this already. Did you let the blood worms defrost first? Perhaps that would make a difference.

Yeah - too much air! Blender first then prep in bowl and then add the gelation, mix with spoon or whisk, then hot water. I'm sure you know that, maybe you accidentally added the gel to the blender - like Fishmerised metioned...?

Did you use freeze-fried or frozen? Frozen ones sink. I use freeze-dried krill in my gel food and I gring it up with a mortar and pestle first. But, maybe you make a lot of food at once!

Nah - I did a dummy. I blended and then mixed in the bowllike I should have, but there was some more spinach I wanted in it, so I used some of the liquid in the bowl to put in the blender with the spinach and then I dumped it all back in. The liquid already had the geletin in it. So I whipped a bunch of air into it! :badidea:pan:thumbdown

I dumped it and made a new batch. Live and learn....... :oops:

Archived