My Oranda

Guest Hannabal

Guest Hannabal

Good afternoon,

I had an Oranda Goldfish for 6 years. The Oranda was in the tank with two other goldfish that I had for over 6 years. I purchased another goldfish (much smaller) than the other three fish about two weeks ago. I noticed the fish I just bought was being very aggressive with the other three fish. I took him out and put him in a separate tank. This past Friday I happened to look in my tank and noticed my Oranda was lying on the bottom of the tank. Part of crown was missing! He died on Saturday. I was wondering if the aggressive smaller fish I purchased had something to do with his crown missing?

Hi Hannabel, welcome to koko's. I am sorry to hear about your fish.

Even though you lost your little friend I am going to move this to the diagnosis section. There will be a box at the top of the page, we need you to answer all those questions. Please be specific, the more information we have the better we can help you.

It could be several things so I will wait to hear back from you.

Welcome to Koko's. I am sorry that such a sad occurance has brought you here. :(

Where as it is entirely possible that the newer fish aggressively injured the Oranda, it does seem like there is probably a different answer - or combination of answers for this sad thing. Without quarantine, introducing a new fish into an established tank could have brought a whole host of possible pathegens to the Oranda. It is entirely possible that a parasite or bacterial infection or fungal infection or any combination of them injured and/or weakened the ORanda, causing the other fish to pick at him. A new fish may be somewhat resistant to that which he brought to the new tank, but your older ORanda was not.

Wen damage like this can also occur when the fish leans up against an unprotected heater and burns his wen. This type of injury will heal, given pristine water and time, or it could get infected and fester, causing death.

I am going to move this post to the Diseases Section for you - there are many more people there and you will get a great number of ideas and help there for you fish. At the top of the page, you will see a number of questions in a white box. If you could answer as many of those questions as you can, it will be easier to formulate a hypotheis as to the reason for your Oranda's death and possibly needed action to help his tank mates along, now.

Edit: I guess Laurie did the moving while I was posting! Thanks, Laurie. :)

Archived