Plecto Eating Goldfish....

Guest shroomiestacie

Guest shroomiestacie

I have a 2" lemon head plecto (charlie) and a fat 5" Ryukin Goldfish (ringo). Charlie chases Ringo in circles around my 30 gl. tank trying to suck the algea (i'm guessing) off his fins. He has been looking not as green lately, but i'm worried he's sucking all his slime off. Not only that is really annoys Ringo and he has started pushing ornaments out of the way and splashing at the top of the water with his tailfins. Should I be worried? I feed them enough that he shouldn't be that hungry...

ALSO.....

My feeder fish are up to 4" long and they are both identical in color and size. I am pretty sure that they are male and female, but i haven't seen any eggs. Anyway, they chase each other in circles and the female is eating the male's tail fins and top fin. He's not sick (yet) but he's starting to look a little shabby. SHould I put baby grass down for them to lay eggs, or what? This has been going on for a couple of months now; its fun to watch. :listen:

hi shroomiestacie :welcome

i've never heard of a lemon-head pleco but if he's chasing ur ryukin them i would say ur pleco not compatible with goldfish. i'm pretty sure the pleco is trying to suck the slime coating of ur ryukin so i'd separate them.

and as for ur feeder goldfish, at 4 inch long i'm guessing they're a little too young to spawn, and usually it's the male that's harassing the female when they're mating. furthermore u sid it's been going on for a couple of months so most likely one of the feeder fish is bullying the other, i'd separate them also.

i'd wait for more expert opinion though cos i'm also a bit new in this goldfish business :lol: although i've learned LOTS from this forum :exactly

Yes separate them right away. Plecos are known for eating the slim coat off of gold fish (they like the way it tastes). If you let it continue it could possible kill the fish. See the Kokos articles about Plecos and goldfish. In general it seems to be a big no-no.

Guest shroomiestacie

wow, thanks....shows how much i know. The fish store dude told me he was called a yellow-head algea eater and he was worth 40 bux.....i paid 4, so maybe that guy was full of hockey.

Archived