A Question About The Fish Bowl

Guest Kiwicat1

Guest Kiwicat1

Well, today we are ;hopefully; going to get a fish tank but right now our one fish is in a fish bowl. I have observed that there are some air bubbles at the bottom and around the top. Is this bad for a fish? What causes this?

Thank you for your kindness.

♥ Stephy

WElcome to Koko's, Kiwicat! :)

I guess you have been reading about tanks and water amounts needed for goldies and that is stupendous! I am very proud of you for taking the steps to make sure your fish friend is happy and well housed. A tank will help you out as well as you fish, for you will have substantially less care.

When you change the water in a bowl or tank there is always a tiny bit of dust or dirt or grease on the glass of the tank. Even a teeny weeny amount of algae or something on the glass. When you refill the bowl or tank, the air bubbles that are released from the water catch and hold through water tension on the sides of the tank or bowl. You can simply brush them off or the fish will as he bumps around in there.

If the bubbles are not on the glass, but instead sitting on the bottom or decorations and look like they are covered in slimey stuff, they could be the result of decaying food or waste in the water - the "air" is released gasses from the bacteria as it grows on the waste. If this is the case, I recommend you remove the fish from the bowl for a short time, and suck out all the bubbly waste and clean the gravel really well. Replace the water with treated water and put your fish back in. Since your bowl is probably not cycled, it would not hurt to change out your fish's water anyway. The fresher and cleaner the water, the happier your fish will be.

I hope to see you back here soon! LEt us see some pictures of your fish. We can help in setting up the tank and with any other questions you may have in the future. :)

Archived