Black Moor

Guest ckolstad

Guest ckolstad

I just bought my black moor, Fly, yesterday. I was told he would be fine with my other fish. I have 5 other tropical fish...a shark fish, 2 cherry fish, 2 diamond fish and my black moor. He doesn't seem to have a problem finding the flakes but it seems like he's scaring my other fish away from eating. Is that probably true? I would really hate to have to get rid of him. He's so cool.

Guest ckolstad

Sorry...I do have tropical fish. Thought they were the same. See, we bought our first 5 at a different store then the moor. But we made sure they could be together. It just doesn't seem like they should.

Guest ckolstad

He's not aggressive toward them...he just doesn't seem to be letting them eat. When my other fish go up to eat he zooms over to them and eats it up first. He seems to eat a lot. How often should I feed him? I wish the place we bought him from knew what they were talking about. This bumbs me out.

Hello ckolstad, Welcome to Koko's! :D

I am with everyone else, your fish have different needs and should be kept separately. The moor and other types of goldfish are coldwater fish and your tropical fish need a heater in their tank. Sorry if you were misled, unfortunately that can happen alot. Can you get another tank or return one type of fish to the store? (this is an addicting hobby, so any excuse for another tank is usually grabbed at! :lol: ) Best of luck with your new fishies! :)

Guest ckolstad

I actually have two 55 gallon tanks. The second one used to be used for a turtle and we thought it would be best to just use for a reptile...like an iguana. We don't have a pump or anything else for it. We just have a tank. The tropical fish we have are very small. We've had them for almost a week and they seem to be okay without a heater. What could happen to them without having a heater?

If they are fine, could the two types co-exist? The black moor is eating the tropical flakes.

Guest Chishower

Tropical flakes are not made for goldfish, they do not have everything he needs for healthy growth. Also, as soon as he gets big enough he will eat your smaller fish, sorry.

I wouldnt get an iguana either....they get 6 foot, which is a tad big for a 55 gallon tank. If you wanted a reptile, an adult ball python would fit just fine in a 55. Or, you know, you could get four more goldfish....thats big enough for 5.

:welcome I hope that you asre enjoying yourself here. Goldfish tend to have healthier apetites than most tropical fish. If you dont want to get rid of the little guy, maybe you can get a tank divider and he can have half the tank to himself.

Guest ckolstad

I am enjoying being here. I just wished I thought of this before buying my moor. The tropical fish store we bought the tropical fish from said we wouldn't need one. We've had them for a week and haven't died yet. I suggested dividing the tank to my husband, he said no...maybe we'd just get a smaller tank...like a fish bowl. If we did that would he be able to live comfortably or would we need the pump and filter. I really appreciate everyone's advice. I really wish I wasn't in this situation. I don't want anything to happen to any of my fish.

Guest Chishower

Sorry, bowls are bad. A 10 gallon tank with a filter that pushes 100gph would fit your little moor perfectly. The general rule of thumb is 10 gallons per fancy goldfish and 10-15 gallons per comet or common.

I don't even really listen to pet store workers anymore...too much bad advice. And most of use came here in similar situations, so don't worry too much about that. :)

Good post :)

If you are looking for a veggie lizard but can't have an iguana, mali uromastix are nice :) I've ever personally had one, but I know that a single lizard will do well in a 55 gallon. They also grow big and have cute faces :) Personally, I'd turn the 55 into a five goldie tank, but that's just me!

Guest ckolstad

Well, thanx to everyone for all the advice on the moor. However, he died today. I only had him two days. How sad is that? But I was also ill advised concerning him. Plus, I got him from nnnnnn and they keep so many in a 10gallon tank it's unreal. His name was Fly. I'm gonna just keep a tropical aquarium now. Good luck to all of you with your goldies. I probably won't be in this forum anymore. I'll be in with the tropical fish people. Thanx again.

is it me or have you posted this post in the wrongh topic kissy

386510[/snapback]

On the first page ckolstad said something about wanting to keep an iguana in an extra 55 gallon tank that they had, so I suggested a mali instead :)

I'm sorry about your moor :( I can definately relate to loosing them so fast. Did you dechlorinate the water? How big is your tank? Is it cycled? If high water params or not dechlorinating are not the issues, you probably just bought him sick. Don't feel bad...I've had five goldies, and four of them didn't even make it to two weeks because the fish stores around here are infefsted with parasites.

Archived