Starting Again

Guest 2 lil fancies

Guest 2 lil fancies

Hi all,

well after the sad passing of Tai on saturday, My other half has decided he wants to replace him.

So we're gonna buy a nice 5 gallon tank and my tiny filter is going in with the cories tonight to get it up and running ready for the new tank.

After everything we went through with Tai in those 24 hours, I just want to make sure we do the best thing possible for the new little fella, and although you guys have assured me my cories won't be to blame, i don't want to risk sticking another betta in there....just in case i have a rogue cat fish.

So, onto the questions.

1) 5 gallons and a filter.......will it be ok?

2) Tank mates.......does he need them, if so what in a tiny tank, if not should i find a way to stick him near my other fish so he can see them? Tai loved to annoy the goldfish.

3) What do i look for when i pick one from the shop (i knew Tai was looking a little haggered when i bought him)

4) Emergency kit.....what should i have in incase of another problem...admittedly Tai didn't give us chance to do much (i'm in the uk by the way. I have revitalising tonic and aquarium salt)

5) Any tips from you experienced guys about anything at all? I've got some surface plants coming off ebay...so they should be here next week,and some betta food too (ordered for Tai :( )

Thanks everyone

Ok then, 5 gallons is a good size for one betta so you could divide the tank and get two :) . But you would need to get a divider he couldnt see through or they would constantly be flaring.

As we dont keep bettas in cups you will just have to go from tank to tank and pick one that you like the colour of and is active and fins arent damaged.

As for tank mates, i really think the betta/s will be fine on their own and you can place them near other fish to keep the interest up. I have a male giant plakat next to my community tank which has 5 females and he gets all excited when one swims by.

For meds i think the salt is fine and i would try to get some melafix for any damage to fins. Methylene blue works for a variety of different illnesses as well.

For furnishing the tank, they like caves to hide in and a plant or two that grows to the surface so they can lie in the leaves, mine like the amazon swords.

Make sure the tank is heated to around 78-79f.

Guest mickey85

1) 5 gallons and a filter.......will it be ok?

It'll be fine. When I bred bettas 2 years ago, I kept all my males in unfiltered 2.5G tanks on my desk and did weekly water changes.

2) Tank mates.......does he need them, if so what in a tiny tank, if not should i find a way to stick him near my other fish so he can see them? Tai loved to annoy the goldfish.

No, he doesn't need them, and in a 5G tank, probably shouldn't have any. Bettas are aggressive enough that in such a small tank, if he decides to pick on someone, the weaker fish can't get away. If you want him to have "tankmates" just stick his tank next to the goldie tank.

3) What do i look for when i pick one from the shop (i knew Tai was looking a little haggered when i bought him)

if they're in tanks (one of the LFS's from home keeps them in the display tanks!), see how they're swimming, if they're bloated (SBD, dropsy), if they have a golden sheen to them (Velvet), and how their fins look (blood in the rays, rot, etc). He should be pretty active and not just sitting there most of the time. If he's in a cup, check all that stuff except (obviously) his movement. In a cup, it's also easier to check for dropsy. pull the lid off and see if he looks like a pinecone with fins. You also want to make sure that he is flaring and attacking the other males in other cups. that indicates health, because if he is listless, more likely than not he's got a disease.

4) Emergency kit.....what should i have in incase of another problem...admittedly Tai didn't give us chance to do much (i'm in the uk by the way. I have revitalising tonic and aquarium salt)

Melafix, Ich-away, maracyn 1 and 2, jungle fungus eliminator, salt, bettamax, bettafix...ummm... (I"m trying to remember what all I had...)

5) Any tips from you experienced guys about anything at all? I've got some surface plants coming off ebay...so they should be here next week,and some betta food too (ordered for Tai sad.gif )

As for betta food, if it's the pellets, make sure they can eat them. Had one male betta with a smaller mouth for some reason, and he'd get the pellet food stuck in his jaws. With surface plants, make sure that he can still get to the top, but they are a good idea so he can anchor the bubblenest should he decide to make one (they shouldn't cover all of the top, because he will still want to come up for air). I always liked to see my bettas in a well planted tank, but that's just me. Also, if your pump has a pretty high output for such a small tank, keep the water constantly filled (so the pump blows across the top, and not into the tank) and use larger plants to block the flow, so your little guy doesn't get beaten around. Also, about the food, when you first get him, your betta will probably be used to frozen or live foods, so he won't want to eat flake or pellet. What you need to do is either wait him out (he WILL eventually eat...though I've heard of it taking up to a week), or mix in bloodworms, etc with flake so he eventually gets used to the flake.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head...

Archived