I Read Hollow Ornaments Aren't Good For Goldies..

maries

.... I had one in the tank so I took it out. I read the risk of bad bacteria that can build up since there is no circulation that can get thru them.

I do have a terra cotta pot in there ( I think thats what they are called ) like those orange-ish solid type of plant pots that you can buy cheap at Home Depot etc.. are those OK?

alot of peeps keep those in their tanks, their ok. :D

As for hollow ornaments, ive kept them in my tank, but be sure like once or twice a week to let the old water out, and clean water in, this will help so it doesnt grow bad bacteria in it, as well as if you could put an airstone in it, but i know some hollow ornaments, you cant do that with. Ive done that with mine as well.

I have a castel and two rock ornaments that are hollow aswell.

I take them out twice a week and clean them (scrub) and replace.Aparently if you want to keep them this needs to be done so the water does not sit stagnent in them.

so far so good but I have not had my tank long.

When Fred moves in I am taking them out and blocking them up ..not because I dont wanna scrub them but because so far Mullow fits thru them and Coco Chanel will aswell as she is smaller then Mullow but Fred....he fat! One hole is just the size of his head...I get horror images of him getting stuck in there :(

Archived