Home Made Filters

Jeana727

I have three different types of HOB filters one is Aqua Tech (from nnnnnn), one is Primo (don't remember where I got it) & the third is a green one (I have no idea the name or where I got it)

Anyway the point is they all use a different filter cartridge. I am starting to make 'em myself, which saves $$ & gives me a good "Martha Stewart" feeling!

I want some tips on making filter thingees! I have an idea of making some "pillow-like" things instead of the plastic cartridges. What if I rolled some filter floss & carbon chips and made like a "pillow".

Then I could stick one in each tank........all the same & homemade!

(Hope I'm explaining this right....I'm picturing a rectangler-ish pillow)

:blink: Does this make ANY sense?????? :blink:

Ah, A girl after my own heart! :heart

Nothing gets the ol' grey matter pumpin' like building your own stuff! :lol:

Seriously, though, check all of the links out in the DIY section, I think you may find some excellent ideas floating around in there. Stuff that would be right up your alley too! ;)

Heres a quick link to it: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...hp?showforum=30

Incidentely, did you know that the aqua-tech (regent) filter that you have from nnnnnn can be turned into a bio-wheel filter? Just purchase the bio-wheel assembly and bio-wheel and you can add it to your aquatech filter. All you have to do is cut out your lid like this: post-1193-1125261764_thumb.jpg

Happy tinkering! :D

Paul

Cool. :)

Keep in mind that carbon is not a necessity. So, you really dont have to do the pillow idea unless you really wanted to run carbon. Course, the media basket/filter cartridge would make it a breeze too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :D

Paul

Guest Chishower

Toothless, what about an aqua-clear with a bio wheel? How exactly would one go about this? I have that big one that came with the 55, and the lack of bio-material is starting to bug me.. :)

Nope, the only other filter that the bio-wheels work on, besides the Penguins they are designed for, is the Aqua-Tech (Regent) filters made for nnnnnn corp. The Regents I am talking about are the ones that look just like the Penguin 170's. A bio-wheel for the regent would need to be the one for the 170/330's.

But, the aquaclears have loads of space for beneficial baccteria. In fact, doest it utilize a sponge to trap dirt? Well, the sponges make excellent places for bio-bugs to grow. I believe that the aqua-clears are all designed to handle 3 sponges total. I know two fit in them perfectly. The way to maintain a good bio-base is to take the sponge frm the bottom, when its too dirty, and squeeze it out inside a pail with some old tankwater. Squeeze it out nice and clean, smack it on the inside side of the bucket too. This helps knock the stuff on the inside towards the outside to be cleaned out. Then, place the sponge that was on top on the bottom and put the one from the bottom on the top.

Do this at every filter maintenence period and you should be able to retain plenty of bio-bugs to keep your water clean. That is, if the correct gph for your tanksize and load were provided.

Hope this helps

Paul

Archived