I Hate My Python

Melle

I've read nothing but good things about these systems so when I got my 35 gallon tank I bought a python to ease the water changes.

I HATE the python, it is very very very very very very slow, much slower than if I just used my regular siphon/bucket method. I think there must be something wrong with how I'm using it but I followed the directions to the letter. I mean, it's pretty simple so how can you go wrong?

Please, if anyone can help me, I NEED advice. This is the third time I've used it and only a trickle of water flows in or out. I believe I have everything connected correctly and there do not appear to be any leaks... :listen: :listen: :listen:

How's your water pressure? I have a 37 gallon tank and I'm still cycling so I've been doing 50% water changes and it takes about 15-20 minutes start to finish. But I turn the faucet on as strong as it will go. Also be sure you take out the aerator in your faucet. (I'm sure you did but just wanted to double check!)

Good luck with it. I love mine and can't imagine carrying around all those buckets again!

Our water pressure is fine, not low but not especially high. I do remove the aerator, have to in order to connect the system.

My tank takes 30 minutes to empty and another 30 minutes to fill. I tried to siphon up debris with the python but it doesn't even catch debris. My old siphon sucked up all the debris that floated by.

it may be clogged....look at the lil part that connects to the sink, and unscrew all the parts that you can on that thing...look for rocks, poo, plants, anything that may be chillin' in there that shouldnt be....that could definately be your problem B) ive never heard anyone hate their python before...i was shocked to read this! :o

Thanks I tried looking for clogs. Nothing. After all, if it won't suck up debris how could it be clogged? I've decided to return it to the store, I think it may be faulty. I found some troubleshooting info on the internet and it indicated that there is probably something wrong with the system. I am soooo disappointed, I really don't relish the thought of bucket brigade with the larger tank.

Hi melle - The title was so funny, I had to read your thread! I don't have one, but maybe you could try one more Python and see if you just got a lemon the first time... it should still be returnable - maybe you could talk to the manager first?

Good luck! I hope it works out for you. :)

I know mine broke once, and thats exactly what happened, i had NO pressure what so ever...I would definately try another, if there arent clogs, then maybe you did get a lemon :)

I agree - Also I have noticed that the longer the python tubing - the greater the water pressure required to obtain suction (makes sense). I have had a python (2 actually) for over a year now & have never had this problem. In 30 min I can change both my 37 & 58 gal tanks.

I too would return it for another. I had one once that had slightly bent metal threads on the part that connects onto the sink. It leaked too much water & the pressure was awful.

Also make sure that the whilte lever is totally open. The suction decreases relative to the position of that lever. Also that the thingy on the end of the part that connects to the sink is fully pulled down to the open position.

Have you noticed any water leaking around the connections?

I still think I'd return it for another though.

Good luck! :D Jenn

Archived