Placement Of Water Heads Of Filters

Apoc88

I am installing my second filter onto my 72gal tank. I was wondering how to place the output piece. I was thinking of putting the intakes on the ends of the tank (one on the left and right) and having both powerheads in teh middle at an angle so that the sprays collide and possibly have a straight current. not sure if this will work or if this setup is beneficial for my goldies. does anyone have a better idea?

I think putting the intakes at different ends and the outlets in the middle sounds really good. This should make for maximum circulation.

Many goldfish really thrive and crave a good swimming current - particularly the larger ones. You do need to make sure that there is a place with little or no current for them to sleep, though. Carefully placed decorations can create this.

Rick, of Goldfish Connection, reminded us all a few months ago, that sometimes people will see their fish bottom sitting for no identifiable reason. He feels (and I tend to agree) that too much current can cause the fish to tire and bottom sit. Turning down the flow, redirecting the flow or breaking the current can help tremendously.

The best thing you can do it set it up the way you think looks to work the best. Then observe your fish. Are they happily surfing in the currents? Are they sitting at the bottom all the time? Can they find a good place to hover when they sleep? Is the current so tremendous that it blows the food all over and into the filter before the fish can capture it? If so, diddle with the angles and speeds and you can certainly get the setup to function the way you wish.

Sounds like an awesome tank. I love the 75s. Perfect size! Not too big and not too little! :D

Archived