What Would You Do If You Were Served...

Guest yabbie

Yah, one of the reasons why it looks so appealing is the complentary color scheme. Orange and blue enhance eachother. I wonder what they do with the bettas? I'd feel very uncofortable eating raw meat (or any food) over a "fishbowl" dish.

Hmmm... Interesting.

First off - I would have ordered a dish like that - so

if they presented the "dish" to me such as it is, I would assume that the Betta is for me to take with me - so

Secondly - I would invite the manager to my table to find out why the waiter is preventing from taking home my desert! This would have led to...

Third act - me "winning" the fish after heavy discussion with the manager - during which I ingratiate myself so as to get a gander of the kitchen (I always talk myself into the kitchen - it is a rule now)! - so that

Fourth - I could spy for myself the truth of the Betta care situation combined with a possible discussion with the chef about it.

Finally - I would leave, everyone would be fuming, the restaurant will have given away the Bettas that night and be terribly afraid of doing it again for the editorial I have PROMISED to write to the paper and Zagat!

If my husband would leave with me after that, that is another question! :rofl

I think it is cool, looks neat, and is very catchy - but totally unethical and utterly contrary to the way any real or serious chef would want his own food to be presented - it would not reflect his/her absolute devotion to the very highest standards of culinary care. I wonder, what is the chef thinking... b/c he must know!?

Guest yabbie

Yep, it's real. It's from a restaurant in Chicago called Tru.

Go to their website: http://www.trurestaurant.com

Click on Cuisine and then Collections and page over to the third course.

I thought tartare was served chilled, and I thought of emailing Tru to ask for a quote to put in my newspaper (The SPCA Times) or my magazine (Fish are People Too) on how they feel about tropical fish being used as food decoration in a chilled dish. But... my email addy is all wrong for that... :D

Graham... you could ask for a waterproof doggy bag so you can take what you can't eat home

Gosh, of my! Whatever will they think of next? Small birds or mammals?

Frankly, aside from anything else, I would find it rather unsettling to eat my food while something live was swimming around on my plate. What about hygiene issues?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived