Little Runt Isn't Doing Too Well

Guest Trinity

Guest Trinity

I have this little runt with a split tail, he seems really down, and he's really small and his top fin is curled. The other fish are really energetic, but this little one just stays on the bottom and rests. I've already put him in my 'new' quarentine tank, and he seems okay for now. Pure clean water for him. I think I'm killing my fish slowly. :cry1:cry1:cry1

Well, right now, I'm migrating my fish into my tub until I can get a test kit. Putting my filter there as well, Hopefully my sister won't mind taking a shower in the other bathroom today. I'll ask my mom if I can keep my fish in the bathtub until I can get a huge rubbermaid plastic bin. I've been bugging my mom all night to go to Target tommorow. :S

Any suggestions to help my little Runtie feel better? :ill:cry1

hmmm. maybe someone will come along and say if it is safe to put fish in a bath tub.... I don't know if a bath tub will leak any bad things into the water that could harm your fish any further..... And even if it wouldn't leak bad stuff in to the fish's water, what if the water drained out in the middle of the night when you were sleeping?

Actually, of the majority of the fish are feeling fine as of right now, I'd leave them in there. Once you get your test kits, you can test it and find out what is going bad in your tank. then, you can easily remedy the problem with the fish still in it! :)

What kind of kits are you planning on buying. For right now, I'd reccomend ammonia, nitrite, and ph.... Thos are very important for when a fish is sick.

What size of a tank do you have--the main tank that is? how many fish were in it--including your little runtie? What types of fish were they? all goldfish? or different kinds of fish as well?

How long has the main tank been running? pump and filter? uh..... hmmm.

and your new quarentine tank, what size is that? does it have a pump and filter as well?

What type of water conditioner do you use on all of your new water?

(I know I'm bombarding you with a ton of questions, but they are importnat so we can find out whats going on).

If you can't afford your test kits asap, perhaps your local pet store can test your water for you? That should be cheaper.... just make sure they don't use dip sticks--because those can be very misleading according to many fish keepers..... I'd have them test for ammonia/nitrites and ph

well.... as for right now, I have no clue as to whats going on with your little runt... if its a new tank, or a tank that is older but has too many fish in it--your water probably has ammonia and or nitrites in it. These two can kill fish....

Hopefully, you can find out and let all of us here know so we can help you and your fish

sammie

Hi Trinity

Sorry to hear you having problems.

Can you answer as many questions in the white box as possible so we can get an idea of what his envoronment was like. This would help alot rather then trying to guess what caused it.

Hi trinity - what's happening with your tank? To be honest, i'd never put my fish into the bath as there's soap residue often left in the tub - this'll kill them fast sadly :(

Can you do a large waterchange in your tank and place them there? It offers more protection for them until you can get a rubbermaid.

Guest Trinity

^^ I scrubbed out the bathtub at least four times before putting my fish in. No soap ofcourse. I've put my fish in there before as a treat, and they seem to enjoy it.

What size of a tank do you have--the main tank that is? 10 gallon

How many fish were in it--including your little runtie? 7 :krazy:

What types of fish were they? Common Goldfish

Different kinds of fish as well? Nope, all Commons

How long has the main tank been running? pump and filter? Mmm...A week.

And your new quarentine tank, what size is that? Another 10 gallon with a filter

What type of water conditioner do you use on all of your new water? I use Wardley's Cholor Out

Little Runtie seems happier in the quarentine. :D He just can't seem to swim right with his fin split in half...

I'm pretty sure it's my Ammonia and Nitrite levels. Let's just say I'm 3 times overstocked with fish. :exactly

I change my water 60% everyday since I got onto these forums.

No usual findings or anithing. Nope. Little Runtie just can't swim right with his little finnie.

Yeah, thats over stocked. eeek :)

How long has the tank been running? and are all of these fish still pretty small?

yeah, at 7 commons, that would be 140 gallons of water needed. That's gonna be expensive. Personally, I couldn't afford it.... Right now it is also improtant to look into the long term. what do you plan on doing? You could get a twenty gallon and keep one and then you would have two ten gallons with one fancy goldifh living in each one seperatly.... or, you could eventually take them all back to the shop, keep your two ten gallons and get two fancies.... Or, trick your parents into building an outdoor pond. :) I know you don;t want to see um' go back to the pet store. almost no one ever does.

But one way you can think of it is this:

If you keep all seven, all seven could die. :( at the pet store, they may have a chance of getting bought by other people who want to keep them....

But, I think petstores should carry the responsibility of informing you and all clients the proper housing conditions for any fish they sell. Regardless of what you decide to do with your fish, perhaps you can write a polite letter to the pet store stating this....

I agree with JenW. I'd do a big ol' water change and put them in there.

Also, did you buy your ten gal. quarentine tank as a complete set up? with the hood, lights, filter and all? if so, and if it is still brand new, perhaps you could clean it and return it. get your money back. and then use that money to go towards one twenty gallon tank and a filter..... that would work better for now, and eventually you would be able to keep on of the fish in it?

I'm not telling you what to do, don't get me wrong, K? I'm just trying to help you, your fish, and your parents wallet :)

Also, if lil runtie is sitting on the bottom, there is a problem more, sadly, then just his fin..... Keeping him in gooooood water is the best you can do for now.

in the ten gallon tank, you should do a .3% salt solution.... do you know how to do this? the absolute CHEAPEST way is to buy mortons canning and pickling salt--it is $1.50 or less for 4 or five pounds and can be found in the canning section of a grocery store....

This will help with his split tail.

now, no ten gallon tank holds a complete ten gallons...seriously... The most your gonna get in like 9 gallons in there or so if you measure it out... always keep that in mind.

Anyways, in another forum I learned that with the mortons salt. a .3% is reached by adding one tablespoon of salt per gallon of water. but... you can't do this all at once, it'd shock the fish and bacteria... you got to do it in three seperate doses.... so, With what I said earlier, I'd treat it as if the tank only had 8 or nine gallons total.

so, if you want to consider it a nine gallon tank, add three tablespoons, wait 9-12 hours and add three more tbs, then wait 9-12 more hours and add another three tablespoons......

if ay of the water evaporates and you add replacement water, remember remember remember that the salt doesn't evaporate out with it! so you would have to add fresh water to fill it back up (due to evaporation) without any extra salt in the replacement water......

at a water change, your fish is already used to the .3% solution... so you take, say five gallons out.... when you replace the water, you HAVE to add five tablespoons back into the fresh new water BEFORE re-adding it to your tank, or your fish is in for a shock... make sure the replace ment water is the same tmep. if you don't have a tub to set out by your tank for a day to get it to the right temp, you can buy (or you might already even have one) a thermometer for under two mucks at meijers. let it sit in the tank till you know what the tanks water temp is...... then, you take the thermometer and fill up a clean clean clean koolaid pitcher or glass and let the thermometer sit in it for awhile. keep doing this until the temp matches either exactly or within two degrees of the tanks water. Again, if you have no bucket to fill up at the sink, yu can always add this water from the sink directly to the tank... BUT ONLY DO THIS IF you add the tap water conditioner directly into the tank BEFORE you add the first pitcher of water. Some people add a little extra conditioner to the tank if they are doing it this way just to be safe.....

regarldess, if you don't have a bucket this will be really tricky when it comes to adding replacement water that is at a .3%...... I have no clue on that one, as I think it would be impossible... know what I mean?

also, the salt solution helps fish get through high nitrites in their tank.

good luck!

sammie

Guest Trinity

Sad thing is....I don't know what to do anymore. :S I think I'll just keep things the way it is, and if something really horrible comes up...I'll come back on.

Thanks SO MUCH guys!!! Ta ta.

~Trinity

Archived