Nitrite And Ph Problems

gollie23

Last night, my nitrite was at 2.0. I changed the water and added salt. Today, I tested the water agian and it was still at 2.0. I immediately changed the 20% of the water and tested again. The result was 2.0 again. What do I do about this?

Also, last night I tested my water's Ph, it was 7.6. So i tried to test with the high range Ph and it was 7.4. What does this mean? My tap water's Ph is high, 8.4. But the tank water is between 7.4-7.6. What's wrong with my water's Ph?

About the nitrites. Do a bigger water change. I would do at least 50% and test again. If it does not come down do another 50%. Keep the salt in for sure.

About the ph. I am just learning but I will attempt to explain what I think is happening. The bacteria breaking down ammonia and nitrite during the cycling process use buffers that are always in the water and when these get low your ph drops. My ph was always coming down in between water changes until I added crushed coral shells to my filter to replace the buffers being used by the ammonia/nitrite eating bugs.

Someone else can probably say this more accurately, but I think the concept of what I am saying is correct. ph swings can be very dangerous for fish. You probably want to get some crushed coral or oyster shells to stabilize it.

Archived