White Dot On The Chin And Cheek

Happy Oranda

Something wrong with my red cap oranda. There are 5 or 6 white dots on the chin and cheek which stick out a bit around one of its eyes. It always yawn but is still eating well. I found them about 2 weeks ago. At that time there were only 2. As it is a red cap oranda, there are some wen on its cheek which is half-clear. I even can see something, like roots of plant, connected to the white dots into the cheek. About a week ago, a couple of 'roots' grow out and stick out and then drop to the water.

I thought it was fungus but I am wrong. One of my neighbour gives me medicinie called 'Goldfish parasite Guard' (pink powder) which is from USA. As I am in UK, I have no idea about it. I just used it 3 days ago and all the white dots disappeared with some red marks left on the white dot spots. Last moring, I thought it was OK and changed 1/4 water. In the evening, I foung white dots came back again. So this moring I bought some medicine 'Protozin' which is said to be effective. But till now there are still 2 or 3 tinny white dots which is much smaller compare to yearsterday.

Any idea what disease is that and which medicine should I carry on using?

Waiting online, thanks!

Guest Chishower

Can you answer the questions in the white box at the top of the page? Are they only on the face and head, or are there some on the fins and body as well? These 'roots', could you describe them a little better?

Thanks for your reply. I am not a native English speaker, I may have difficulty in describing the sympton, please bear with me. :yeah:

To be honest, I have not got a test kit. But a pet shop did the test for me and they said the water is perfect ok(forget to copy down the readings).

The white dots are only on the face (one side). It behaves normally and I have not seen it stratching its face on objects. A good news is it is always hungry and is still eating well.

As I said there are some wen which is half-clear on its cheek, I can see one white stuff which is bigger than the white dot iteslf under each white dot. The white stuff grow out the skin and forms the white dot I described. I called it 'root' coz it will grow out and still stay underneath of the skin.

Now there are only 2 or 3 tinny white dots left after using the medicine (I dont know which one works on that). But the white stuff are still there. I am afraid they are growing out if the condition is favourate them.

:crp

The little white dots - are they like little pimples? Are they only on the wen? It could be wen growth - it kinda looks like little pinpricks of pimples with a whitish area around them.... sort of like fungus...

Thanks for your info.

I dont know if the wen is still growing as my goldie is already 5-6 inchs long (including tail). The medicinie (although I dont know which on earth one did the work)removed a couple of white dots, but left red marks on the spot white dots grows. Moreover the white dots look like sugar or salt rather than cotton.

I tried to post a pic, but I failed. I think pic may help decide what on earth is that. The fish still seems active, but I am really stressful.

:huh:

How did you try to post your image? An easy way is by opening an account at www.photobucket.com and then upload your pic. It will reduce the image to a manageable size - then just when the pic has been uploaded, copy the url. When you go to post a pic here, just paste the url into the IMG window...

Would really like to see a pic to know for certain :)

I am really nervous about my fish. The white dots are still there, not getting worse fortunately after two days. I dont know if I am treating it with the right medicine. As I want to prevent it passing its disease to other fish, I have isolated it in a basin as I have not got a hosptical tank.

Please please help!!!

I got a simple test kit which shows the readings: NO3, NO2 are 0 and PH is about 6.4.

I brought my fish to a couple of fish shops by a bucket and nobody can tell what exactly the white dots could be. They said as the white dot dont bother my fish and have no bad effect on him, so just let it be.

I went to a pet supermark today and searched all the aquarium medicine, no sympton can match mine.

I dont know what I am going to do. Tonight I found a couple of white dots 'grow out' on the red wen, it seems that it is getting worse.

:(:(:(

Guest Chishower

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Wen growth can appear as white pin pricks on the wen, I believe. As long as they don't spread, I really don't think they are going to hurt him. My calico has a similar feature:

P1010008.jpg

I don't know if its the same thing, but it looks the same.

What is your pH from the tap? 6.4 is rather low, but as long as its stable it should be ok.

Thank you very much for your reply.

The white dots on your calico oranda look very much similar with mine. They are probably the same stuff.

I am released. I am going to move it back to his home from the basin and going to set up my new 30 inch tank. :krazy::krazy:

I have been reading your thread

good to know all is ok

My Fred is a lionhead that recently had wen growth

it looked liked pimples then he has stringy "fluff" trailing behind his head...kinda fuzzy, hard to describe

It went a few days ago :) and his wen has a few new bumps!

viva la growth!

Im glad your fishy is ok :)

The white dots are still there. They are too big to be parasite white dots. And the red mark are still there, but they are getting back to the nomal colour. If it is just the pimple or growth of wen (I do hope it is), How long will the white dots stay there? And how often does it happens?

As mine is a red cap oranda and has got a kinda clear wen under her eyes, it is a bit difficult to tell if the wen under her eyes has grown bigger.

Anyway as long as she is still healthy, I am just so happy. :lol:

I honestly do not know how long it will take

My Fred's was there for about a week until it cleared.

It has happened twice in about 3 months.

The edges of his wen are clear aswell like yours.

However as Fred is the only fish I have ever had with a wen, thats just what happened to him personally, others here may be able to give more details.

I will see if I can find any info as I am interested myself to know more as i am planning on getting an oranda too.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/ORANDAM.html

taken from the above link from kokos:

"The oranda is born without a wen. The skin on the head begins to thicken and fold 3-4 months after hatching, but it takes 1-2 years until the hood is fully developed. Its development is affected by a number of factors which include the quality of the water, as well as its diet. Stable, clean water and a protein rich diet favour the development of the headgrowth."

Thanks for your info.

Actually I have got another red/orange oranda as well in my tank, it is only 2.5inch long. I think I may observe the whole process of wen growing with the time goes on. A couple of weeks ago, I found a patch of fuzzy stuff in the middle of her wen. I though it was fungus infection, now I think it may be the grownth of wen. I am planning to take pics for each of my goldie every 3 or 5 days. After a peroid of time, I just can tell how fast they growth by skimming through the pics.

I will put my eyes on my red cap and post what exactly happened on her.

Yes when Fred first got it ( I did not know wens grow then) I also thought he had fungus.

here is a pic I found for you of the "dots"

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4468/pimples.gif

acording to the site the pic came from this person said "The pimples would come to a white head over about a week, and then leave a raw spot as they healed for a week or so. Turns out that this is not uncommon for headgrowth fish as they go through spurts of development of the wen."

So that makes sense as you said yours got red areas after the dots went aswell.

Good idea taking pics :) I do it often. Not only is it good memories but can help alot when something does not look right and you can refer to previous pics.

You are more then welcome :)

Im also happy to look for info as i am going thru the same thing.

Yes i think it stresses us out more then the fish!

As my Fred was soooo sick I panick now at the slightest thing.

I have to comend you for noticing the changes, you obviously care alot for your fish :)

well done!

I can tell you love him so much. For me, every morning the first thing to do is to check if they are alright and then feed them. Look, if you choose to keep goldies in your home, they will exert a subtle influence on your life. Sometimes my girlfriend is 'jealous' too. She said I spent more time on fish. But actually she just loves them as much as I do.

Btw, Fred is a good name and my girlfriend named mine: Pangpang (means fatty), Yueyue (it is her first name) and Duoduo (I dont really know what does it mean). I am going to get a Ranchu after my tank cycled, I will name him/her myself this time. :lol:

I can tell you love him so much. For me, every morning the first thing to do is to check if they are alright and then feed them. Look, if you choose to keep goldies in your home, they will exert a subtle influence on your life. Sometimes my girlfriend is 'jealous' too. She said I spent more time on fish. But actually she just loves them as much as I do.

Btw, Fred is a good name and my girlfriend named mine: Pangpang (means fatty), Yueyue (it is her first name) and Duoduo (I dont really know what does it mean). I am going to get a Ranchu after my tank cycled, I will name him/her myself this time. :lol:

Archived