I Found A Show Today!

daryl

I was scanning the papers and found a koi and goldfish show in the area today. I popped one of my fish into a bucket for a last minute entry.....

And I bought a new fish. I have to admit - I splurged. But it was a male, and he has such an adorable face that I kept going back and going back and going back. He lacks the super upright tail fin and true ranchu tuck of a winner, but his face is sooooooooo unique and he is such a fine looking fish. Gunn finally knocked $50. off the price and I fell for it.

Now I need a name. So all you super smart people that have a way with names please take a look when I get his picture up and let me know what his name should be! I gotta get out the camera!

Show - Still going tomorrow in Darien Illinois.

http://www.mpks.org/index.htm

My fish - a calico telescope male, about 6 inches from head to tail tip.

He would not pose this day. I will take better shots when he comes home from the show.

And his ribbon. 8 inch diameter. I do not know what the heck I am going to do with something so garish and huge, but...... there it is! :rolleyes:

post-27-1125177070_thumb.jpg

post-27-1125177198_thumb.jpg

This is my new fish. I need a name for him.

It is a male, 9 months old. Ranchu with one red spot on his back and various reddish stripes and spots. His eyes are red rimmed. He is about 7 inches from head to tail tip.

Please help me name him! He has such a wonderful personality. Every time I looked at him he danced and wiggled for me. He is a true charmer and quite a looker also!

post-27-1125177356_thumb.jpg

post-27-1125177380_thumb.jpg

Your new fishie is very cute too :) I took one look at him and the name "freddie" popped into my head. If names pop into my head like that its usually what I name them, but that's just me.

:heart Normally,I don't find myself quite as attracted to the Telescopes,but I must admit that your little guy was beautiful.I love his color's and markings. As for your new fish,What a Looker! What adorable chubby cheeks he has! For some reason Cherub, and Quincey popped into my head. I usually never give names for fish as I am too particular about the whole process.Gunn just emailed to tell me that he had some baby Black Ranchu's,something I've been wanting for a long time....... :heart

So how big of a hole did that cute fella burn on your pocket? :P

He is amazing though, i love the telescope too! I can never trust black in my tank though.... still waiting for the perfect butterfly tail black moore.

So coo, Daryl!! Congratulations, you bought a very nice fish from Gunn. You are right, that face is to die for!

So, did you have fun with Peter Ponzio? He is a great judge, and usually something really bad out of the ordinary has to happen to stop him once he starts talking. I remember a show 2 years ago - he just had knee surgery and could hardly walk, but did the judging and subsequent questionaire from patrons for a whole 3 hours afterwards! :thud

Fantastic looking fish, I love the markings you've got on the Demekin, one of the nicest I've seen.

And your new ranchu is fantastic, I don't know, I think the line of his tail's pretty good. He's definately got the face!

Gee - did you talk to Peter today and tell you of our long discussion, Andrea? :lol:

Peter said to say hi! I truly enjoy listening and watching all the action at shows. I love to follow the judges around. This year, the show was in a much bigger venue - and it was louder - more echoey. I had some difficulties hearing much of the koi judging. The goldfish were in a long corridor off to the side - only wide enough for 2 people so it was more difficult to follow. Peter was happy to talk me down the tanks, though! :lol: I loved every minute.

He convinced me to enter a few more fish next year - and I think I shall. After I have had this new fellow for a year I can consider him "mine" enough that I can ethically enter him in a show and accept any prizes he may earn. So he may go next year. Rocky and Omar should also attend next year.

I followed Mr. Ponzio around for quite some time. I asked his opinion about a number of fish - but I was so taken with that pudgy faced fellow I kept coming back to him. Peter picked a tank mate over him - a smaller female. She had a better tail - more true Ranchu typey - but she had a single anal fin. I know that Judge Ponzio does not disqualify or even heavily penalize for singles, but I could not get past it. Besides, I have a real problem with female fish. I will take a male over a female any day - all things being equal.

So I got this fellow. Gunn said that Peter awarded him over the other one last show out, anyway. It all depends on mood or the day or whatever.

That little puppyface set me back a good deal - but it was soft-cash - stuff I earn doing embroidery for people. (He was $600). Being only 9 months old, he should have a lot of growing to do, still. But I do not see any body conformation difficulties, with the exception of the slightly lower tail and slightly less pronounced tail tuck than the other. The head and body are superior and having two anal fins + being male - well I had to have him.

I am considering him my birthday present to me. :D

I am happy.

My calico telescope has proved himself to be a happy little guy - he perked up his fins and danced up a show for the judges - probably why they liked him. I am always nervous and bothered when one of mine is somewhere other than home, though. I look forward to getting him home.

What about the name "Tsunami"? He is from Thailand - not a place that was affected - but the timing is right on......

Well, that is my day. I keep running into my fish room to look at the empty tank where the other belongs and at the new one in his quarantine tank......

***she runs back to look again***

Guest squeeker

He's a gorgeous fish! $600 is a lot, but he's awesome! I like the name Quincey.

I'd love to go to a goldfish show one day... but there is never anything like that in my area!

Yeah, Peter is one of the coolest judges around - him and Mr. Taylor, whose wife has her jacket full with goldfish pins and stuff. He awarded me a very old goldfish book at the ORlando show 2 years ago from England as the Judge's Choice award. Well, he awarded it to my fish, but whats a fish going to do with a book? :rofl3

I wish I could go with you tomorrow to that show, Carol - I am sure we'd have a blast!

That ranchu is probably well worth its price, and you earned it! I like to do that myself - putting aside some cash every month, in case I run into any neat fish at a show, or even a tortoise I'd love to have and finally find. Hey, what can you say - most women collect clothes and jewelry, we stash money for fish! :lol:

Don't forget your camera tomorrow - I would looooove to see some pics! :happydance

Wow he is a cutie!! Congrats on treating yourself to a early Bday present. When I see that chubby little face "Winston Churchill" comes to mind. OR Mickey Roonie.

Also congrats on the ribbon, hey that little guy is very unique. But then again you do have some of the nicest fish I have seen.

Guest labrat99

He is a good looking fish. Congratulations on the show as well.

He looks like a "Humpy" or "Humpty" to me... something with an "H" anyway. :blink::)

Labrat

Jeez, Carol. 600 bucks is a lot for a fish! :o But Wow! whatta mug that little guy has! I immediately thought of "Bear" as a name for him. Something about that round face reminds me of a teddybear. :rolleyes:

Congrats on your telescopes award as well. Very unique looking fellow. He retains the panda face along with the calico markings on his body. You must have been cheesin' when he started to dance for the judges.... :lol:

Actually, I do like "Bear", "Quincey" and "Hugh". Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Yeah - it is a lot of money - but I look at it in a kind of sideways fashion. I earn misc. amounts of cash doing embroidery work or designs for people. I enjoy the needlework - and would do it whether I was paid or not. The money they give me I toss into a drawer. It is used for Public Radio donations, backpacks for kids, computers for deserving college kids, new books for the library, or anything frivilous but fun that I happen to see or want to do. I am lucky I just got this money this past week - or I probably would have given it to a different cause by now. In this case, it became my birthday present. The fish means a great deal more to me than a few hours of working at the sewing machine. I do not like looking at the money any other way - it is a trade - sewing for fish......Works for me.

Now you gotta help me keep him healthy!

My friend who helped me take my other little guy down to show yesterday is campaigning for me to give him to her! She claims that they took her picture with the fish and that makes him hers! I think not! I am thinking of seeing if Southwest Koi still has one of those cute little butterfly moors he had yesterday and bribing her with that! She claims that I got her addicted to fish and I am now responsible for supporting her habit! :lol:

I am giving the ribbon back. It does not have a date on it - so can be used again next year. I certainly do not need it! I almost missed this show because I have been so busy with my daughter's wedding. :o

Today will be a quiet day - I just have a fish to pick up. My hubby is flying and I intend to do some sewing and reading. Ahhhhhhh - Sundays are nice. :)

Archived