New Gravel, Cloudy Water.

Guest Pixelsurgeon

Guest Pixelsurgeon

I just got new gravel for my fishtank (natural range white marble).

Im new into the whole aquarium thing. I spend about 20 min. cleaning the sand before adding it to the tank, it seemed quite clean but now that its in the tank and I filled the water its all cloudy and I don't want to put my fish in it.

Any suggestions on what I did wrong and how to clean new gravel?

:unsure:

Thank you :)

All gravel contains a certain amount of fine particulate. That is how nature works. Water and friction breaks the stones down and rounds them out - in the ocean or lakes with the waves and such. The stones in a bag, before you purchase them, have been tumbled, too, by the motion of the bag as it is being shipped.

You can wash the majority of this particulate out of the gravel, but no matter how well you wash there will always be some left. It should settle out within a day or two and your filter should take out more. As time goes by, you will syphon still more out.

If your gravel is really sand, though - a truly fine grit - you may have continuing problems. Goldfish are bottom feeders. They spend hours each day rooting happily around in the substrate on the bottom of the tank. In doing this, they will stir up the sand, causing a suspention of the solids and leading to a hazy cloud hanging in the tank most of the time. Sand is also not such a good idea, for it will go into the goldies mouth and out through the gills - acting like sandpaper on the delicate gill tissue.

Ideally, you should have a gravel base that is either large enough that a goldie cannot get a piece into his mouth (for he will try and it can get stuck) or small enough that it cannot get stuck when it does go in. It needs to be large enough that the majority of the substrate does not go into solution when a goldfish roots through it.

Hey, hey - welcome! :D

Guest Pixelsurgeon

thanks daryl, very helpfull info.

The water is much clearer today so I put the fish in tank, so far so good :D

Im not sure about the size of the gravel, I think it should be fine, they are not too big and not too small :) The bag said gravel for fishtank and that its high quality bla bla bla I think it should be ok.

Again, thank you :)

Archived