Veiltail Goldfish Struggling/dying

Guest thuddles

Guest thuddles

Please Help! This is my first post but have frequently read this site and love the conversations found...

2 weeks ago I bought a veiltail the size of a half-dollar. At the time he had white spots on his tail that looked like the end stage of fin rot. The dealer said he had already finished his treatment. "Lucy" was brought home and placed in a 50 gal with some new friends that were well established along with a new comet that was missing a fin "Nemo". Everyone was well and happy until 6 days ago I turn on the light and Nemo's dead and Lucy has lost all her fins except the bones and is floating at the top. I immediately set up a hospital tank and removed her. Both tanks are set at 74 degrees, 7.0 ph, 0 ammonia. Ph out of tap is 8.4 and I have no clue about the nitrites or nitrates (I don't own those kits). I'm up to date with my waterchanges and no one else is exhibiting signs of sickness.

Currently she is housed in a 5 gal hospital tank. I gave her melafix for 3 days until she lost all the bone in her tail and fins (it's down to her body now) and she just lays on the bottom on her side. She's breathing heavy and the only way she eats is for me to hold her in my palm and float food in front of her, then she sucks it in. I'm still giving her melafix once a day but starting adding erythromycin tablets yesterday and today. Is this right or wrong? Also, I'm leaving for vacation for 2 weeks in 1 weeks so I have 7 days to get her swimming and eating on her own! What do I do!!! Anyone with suggestions, please help. And please criticize... I don't take it personally, I just want to get her well.

Thuddles I welcome you to the site, sorry to hear about your fish.

The first thing I would recommend is to get the nitrites and nitrates tested. If those are off balence it can cause extreme damage.

Also the PH does drop a bit, do you know how much time is between going from 8.4 to 7.0, this could be important.

Guest thuddles

The 8.4 is the tap water (the headliner said to list that). The 7.0 tank water has been around for a while. I test every few days and buffer it with a 7.0 buffer liquid from marineland. No real change over night except her body now is fading color (from red to white) with a dark (almost black) outline where the affected area is spreading. It's now involving some of her face. I did notice last night that she's still pooping normal though considering the half dead look. I took a water sample to the pet store for further testing yesterday... pet store man says there's no problem with the water sample so it must be the fish... any more ideas?

Did the man give you the numbers or just tell you? Unfortunetly we have come to realize that some lfs people don't know what is safe and what is a problem, so with that I would recommend to get actual numbers so that there is no question as to the status of the water.

Are you using a water conditioner?

Guest thuddles

He said 0 amonia. Ph 7.0. Nitrites 0. Nitrates 5. Everything sound okay to you? I never really check the nitrites and nitrates because I rarely have problems with any of my tanks (most have been up for years). As for what chemicals I use...

Seachem ph 7.0 and Seachem Prime (removes chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates) When introducing new friends... stress coat. When anyone has medical issues... melafix. Most of my kids are over a year old. I have 4 comets, 2 veiltails, and 1 pleco in addition to my sick little lucy in the hospital tank. She's the only baby, the others are fairly full grown.

WEll the params seem good. So you could be dealing with finrot. If I remember correctly Maracyn 2 works for fin rot. Of course feeding her a medicated food will help with any bacterial infections she can get from the wounds.

You may can try that, remember to remove the carbon when treating with any med as it removes the med from the water.

Archived