Really Confused Right Now

Maceo

I just posted about my cycling issues and I am still really confused. Ok. so the amquel plus that I added only detoxifies the nitrites and the nitrates it doesn't remove them right? and the salt I added just acts as a tonic for the stress and gill health right? So I still need to do daily water changes to get rid of the nitrites and nitrates because they are still there just not dangerous right? and when/if I do these water changes I need to replace the salt I removed? How many gallons should I be taking out of my 55 gall? I kinda feel like this :krazy: right now.

I understand your pain! But, it will soon be over. You need to test your water and do a water change when the nitrites get too high. Different people will tell you different numbers about what is too high. I have been told 0.25 is the max, but Betty (Dataguru) might be able to tell you that by keeping salt in the tank you are protecting your fish for much higher levels.

Personally, I would do a change when it gets up around 0.5-1.0. The salt is chemically similar to nitrite and so the receptors in the gills bind with the salt (harmless) instead of the nitrite (deadly). Don't ask me to explain that any further because I am not a chemist and barely have a grasp on it. But I do know that salt is very important to neutralize the effects of nitrites.

When I was cycling I would add the amquel+ on the days that I did not do a water change, and I was changing the water about every other day or every third day. It will buy you a day or two between water changes. Prime is also another good water conditioner. I think amquel+ caused my ph to crash once (not sure).

I think 20%-30% water changes should be ok. It depends on how high your nitrites are. I have done 50% changes back to back to get my levels at an accepetable range. Thats why you need to test and know your numbers, so you know what you are up against. With a 55 gallon tank 5.5 gallons is 10%, so 11 gallons is 20% and 16.5 gallons is 30%, see? (can you tell I am a math teacher?) :D

Oh thank you so much Becky you helped me out enormously. My levels are like crazy high the strip is hot pink. I'll just keep on changing their water out untill I can get it to go back down which will be soon I hope. I just lost Arnold my pearlscale yesterday so I am very concerned but since I've added the salt I feel a little bit better. And thank you for the math lesson I seriously have no idea how to figure that kind of stuff (art school kid) thank you so much! :D

Archived