Whole New Problem

Guest LamLam

Guest LamLam

Well for last couple of days he has been sick and he lays and on his side. He also has protruding eyes like the others do and we put Mardel in it. Also my other fish they have grown bubble like things covering there eyes, they make the eyes look cloudy. They also wont eat either. i hope you can help them!

LamLam

Sounds like something bacterial going on. Do you have maracyn-2? If they won't eat, it makes treatment more difficult. Can't give them medicated food. :(

What is the tank temp? Do you have lots of aeration?

Guest LamLam

We only got maracyn, we dont have maracyn-2 also our tank temp erature is about 76 and we dont have aeration we only have the filter running

Maracyn-2 is a bit more board spectrum. Use M-1 for now but if you can get M-2, use both at the same time. Add aeration if you can. If will help the fish to recover.

Guest LamLam

alright thanks a lot captk i will as soon as possible try to get maracyn-2 and we got some aeration in there yesturday so that solves that problem. Well thanks and i hope they feel better.

LamLam

Guest LamLam

Hello everyone,

I posted a thread a couple days ago about cloudy eyes and fish swimming upside down. Anyways i checked the water quality and it was pretty bad. i had alot of ammonia and nitrites and the PH was out of wack. Anyways ive been changing the water every three days and been treating with melafix/pimafix and maracyn one. THey are still not eating and im not sure whats wrong. My white fantail has bubly eyes still and my orange pearlscale kind of has bubbles but i cant tell if his scales are popping out or if its just the scales. ive checked the water quality and the ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is about 40. i am also adding salt so that its at .03 concentration. i took some pictures hope you guys can help.

thanks so much.

Oranda with cloudy eye. He is quarantined separate from two other fish

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/shioulam/DSC00852.jpg

Pearlscale dont know if its dropsy or not

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/shioulam/DSC00847.jpg

Another shot of the pearlscale

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/shioulam/DSC00846.jpg

white fantail with bubbly eye. The eye is not popping up, but there is a bubble around it. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/shioulam/DSC00842.jpg

Another pic of my white fantail

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/shioulam/DSC00828.jpg

Lamlam, I have merged your threads (it makes things easier for everyone to help you less confusing for us).

Where are you at in treating them? How long has it been since the params were out of control?

I am not familar with "eye" breeds so I can't help you with them, I am sure that eye isn't normal but to say what it could be I can't.

As for the pearlie they always looked bloadted and funny to me, so you would be the best to say if you think she is bloated and her scales sticking out.

Guest LamLam

The params have been out of whack for about 2 weeks. Its happened eversince we went on vacation. The filter got clogged or something so it messed up the whole cycle. Anyways my gold pearlscale is just fat and he has been gaining weight so its hard for me to tell if he is bloated or if he is just fat. The white fantail is just a regular gold fish. His eyes arent suppose to bubble or anything. Just regular eyes. Yet the buble on the eye is super wierd. I dunno what i should treat it with. i have been treating with melafix and pimafix for a little over a week. I have been changing the water every three days. I started maracyn about 3 days ago. Their tails have red streaks in them and they have fin rot. I think the rotting has stopped, but they still arent eating. I have also been feeding them medigold for about 2 weeks as well.

thanks

Lam I have to say I am at a loss. I do know that it takes time when the water is bad for them to recover. Sounds like you are doing the best you can.

The only other thing I can say is maybe stop the meds and just do the medigold and keep the water clean. Often a sick fish will get better with just good water and medicated food. We do know that meds can be hard on fish especially when they are sick.

Hey Lam,Sorry to hear about your fish.I personally would completely dump the Melafix/Pimafix. The very first thing you need to do ,is to keep on the water testing.Your readings are okay right now,but they can change rather quickly. Your NitrAtes are still a little high-you may want to strive for a reading under 20ppms. Your poor water quality started the fin/tail rot,and Cloudy eye.Sounds like the length time that your fish were subjected to this water put them over the edge,and they went into secondary infections.If it were me,I'd probably still do the Maracyn Combo for sure.Good Luck!

Guest LamLam

thanks so much for you replies.

i will stop the melafix/pimafix. Shou i just treat with maracyn then. Ive only been treating with maracyn one and havent had time to purchase maracyn 2. should i get both or just stick with one? If i do get both how do i use it. Its a 10 gallon tank and one tablet treats 10 gallons. Should i cut them both in half or just throw two tablets in.

You guys are awesome thanks so much.

I wouldnt' use both together. IF you want to finish with Maracyn 1 and then give the fish a 24 hour break with no meds and follow with Maracyn2 that would be ok.

But often it takes a little bit of time and patience.

Guest LamLam

Thanks laurie,

anyways the swelling of the eyes has seem to gone down but their activity is still pretty low. they just sit at the bottom. The gold pearlscale sometimes lays there upside down. He was fine a couple days ago so i dont know if thats part of the recooperation process. My oranda seems to act wierd cause when he swims its like half of his body works so he kind of swims in spirals. The other side of his body doesnt seem to move. I dont know whats going on. Its like they are all really "jacked up." Ive been changing water and using maracyn.

Thanks

Lam Lam have you checked the params lately? While using a med in the tank it should be tested twice daily and often twice daily.

The meds can crash a cycle.

How is the PH staying? I wonder if it isn't fluctuating.

Guest LamLam

Thanks for all your help,

anyways i just tested the water. ammonia is at .25, nitrite is between 0 and .25, nitrate is about 5.0 and my ph is 7.8. and just to describe the current situation. the tail/fin rot seems to have stopped. the eyes of the fish seem still swelled, but i think it has gone down. they still lazy around on the bottom of the tank and do move around a little. the oranda floats at the top of the tank with its head at the top of the tank. its not dead im sure, but they look hopeless. The fat pearlscale is hard to tell if he has dropsy or not. cause he is always fat like a golfball. anyways here are some pics. thanks again for all your help.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/shioulam/DSC00866.jpg

oranda at the top of tank

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/shioulam/DSC00868.jpg

another pic of oranda

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/shioulam/DSC00865.jpg

fantail and pearlscale at bottom of tank

Lamlam they do seem to be sick. Poor babies, The oranda looks to be swollen as well, it is hard for me to tell with the pearlie but the oranda looks like swelling. What is the temp on the tank?

How long have you been feeding the medicated food? (if you are).

Also do you have a airstone?

I might try fasting them a couple days, depending on the med food. It won't hurt them and with the tank still cycling will help with that as well.

I would try and keep the ammonia and nitrites still as low as possible. It sounds like your fish are very sensitive. This could still be caused by the water quality.....time will tell us.

Guest LamLam

im trying hard to keep quality of the water at its best. there is an airstone in there and im feeding them medigold. the temp is about 76 degrees. the oranda swims really wierd like he is having seizures. its not smooth cause he shakes alot. ill keep you updated

thanks

The "seizure" activity you describe could be parasite irritating the fish.

Salt is a very good parasite killer while a stress reducer in fish. I would salt the tank. ARe you familar with aquarium and using it?

A 0.3% concentration will be needed. If you are not clear on it I can give you the dose and how to do it.

How long have they been on the Medigold? If it has been 5-7 days I would give them a 2 day fast and then follow with peas, to cover for constipation and clean them out.

Guest LamLam

yeah i have been feeding them for about two weeks with medigold. when i salt the tank how long do i leave it salted and when should i change the water? Just to make sure i have a 10 gallon tank so i do 1 teaspoon for every gallon per day/every 24hrs for three days? so i will fast starting today and then feed with peas after two days. how many days should i feed peas for?

thanks so much for your help you are my heroine

YOu are welcome!!

You are right with the salt dose, I would start it now. Have only that running in the tank, no meds.

And the medicated food can be stopped, fast 2 days and then do peas 2 days, this should give them a good "cleaning out".

As far as changing the water, watch the params of the tank as long as they are fine just do a daily vacuuming of the gravel and then add that much water and salt back to the tank.

Everything make sense?

I may have Toothless take a look at this thread to see if we are missing something. Better safe than sorry, he is the parasite king.

:cry

My oranda died this morning. He just stopped moving at the bottom of the tank. Anyways today i started feeding them peas, but it doesnt look like they want to eat. The swelling in the white fantail has gon down considerably, but my fat pearlscale cannot swim. he floats at the top upside down and cant swim. I dont know if its cause his fins are frayed or something happened. THe fins on his sides are pretty deteriorated and i dont think he can swim to the bottom to get food if he wanted to. All im doing is hoping for the best.

Lam

Lam I am sorry to hear this.

With the other fish still hanging in there, can you post the tank params now and go into detail, maybe we can help keep him here.

Sorry I hadn't seen this sooner. :crp

Since these fish recently came out of some VERY toxic water, they need to be in PRISTINE conditions for them to have any chance at beating this. Forget about re-cycling while keeping all the levels low. Put them into an uncycled tank or plastic bin that is at least ten gallons per two 3-5 inch goldies. They need the water to be Perfect right now.

---Perform 100% waterchanges every day with temperature matched dechlorinated water.

---Do not raise heat.

---Keep the salt level at 0.3%

---Feed medicated food such as medi-gold from http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/det...uctId=8&catId=5

---Increase aeration.

---Use parasite clear by Jungle Labs as per instructions for external parasites.

You probably have a parasite in your tank. Most likely a parasite that only parasitizes in huge numbers during poor water quality conditions like chilodonella, tetrahymena, or something similar. Since the cycle is out of whack, forget about saving it. Completely sanitize your tank, filters and everything in it with a 20/1 ratio of water and bleach. Scrub and rinse very well. Let dry in 100% sunlight and set it back up and get it cycling again. Use bio-spira if possible. If not, do it the old fashioned way, fishless. here's a link for fishless cycling.( you can use fishfood instad of ammonia if you cant find any): http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FishlessCycle.html

Basically, your water going bad while you were on vacation helped allow the parasites in your tank to invade the fish. Your fish were stressed from the water quality heading south and the stress caused their immune systems to slow up. making sre the water is pristine is the first step in reducng their numbers.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted. :)

Paul

Archived