My Goldfish Doesnt Look Right

Guest snowy

Hello,

I am really a beginner in fish keeping,I have an outdoor pond with 3 goldfish all bought at the same place at the same time,2 of them are much bigger than the 3rd although they were all equal when bought he has not grown as quickly and is half the size of the other 2 I think one of the bigger fish bullies him he used to bully all of them but now that the other is his size he leaves him alone,however I have recently noticed that goldfish 3 has developed some black spots on him one large area maybe 5mm accross and some other smaller black spots,looking at some pictures of fish disease it looks more similar to fin rot than anything else,the other 2 are unaffected,

I am concerned about what to do next,should I catch him and quarantine him from the others?if so what should I treat him with?and will the water now be infected?if so what should I do about that?

If anyone could help me with which course of action to take now I would be very grateful as I am worried about them.

Thanks Snowy

I think this should be posted in the disease forum but anyhoo..it could be colour mutations or it could be ammonia burns oxygen burns or fin rot i guess...im not 100% sure..is your pond cycled? Do you do water tests ?

Ooh and welcome to Kokosss snowy :)

:) Don't start a new thread in the disease forum, it's okay, someone will soon transfer this thread over there....

Meanwhile, can you fill the anwers in to the following questions? That way when it does move, it will be a lot quicker to diagnose your problem :)

Please provide the following details when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: Ammonia Level Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level? Ph Level?

Ph Level out of the Tap? Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

What kind of Filtration? How often do you change the water and how much?

What kind of Water additives or conditioners?

Any Medications add to the tank? How many fish in the tank and there size?

Add any new fish to the tank?

What do you feed your fish? Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as

"grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus?

Any unusual behavior? Like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? If you can what is the chloramines Level

from the Tap?

Often when a fish develops black spots they are ammonia burns. As lillypetal said we need you to answer all the questions at the top of the page to give us a better clue as to their environment.

Hello Guys,

Just to keep you up to speed,I took my goldfish to the fish doctor and he did a water test which turned out to be fine,the larger black spot was where he was not getting enough caratine as the other fish were out competing him for food and he was reverting back to his natural black colour,the smaller discolourations were bruising where he is getting bullied by the other fish,he suggested some blood worms and to put some extra food where he hides most of the time while the others are feeding at the other end of the pond.If the bullying continues he will have to be separated eventually if he looks like he is in danger and the bruising gets worse hopefully he will start eating more and start sticking up for himself!

Thanks for your help though and I will keep you posted on his situation :yeah:

Archived