Swimming Funny

Guest starpetals27

Guest starpetals27

Hi everyone, I just moved back into a dorm with my fish and I'm driving myself crazy worrying about hows he's adjusting to his new surroundings.

I moved in two days ago and he was behaving totally normal, darting around the tank, following the people who watch him and eating everything. But, as the dorm has no air-conditioning and I am on the top floor, my room temperature soared to 90 degrees during the day, thus making my tank temp ( normally 72-75) go up to 80. I had frozen some water bottles just in case so I added one to bring the temp down, and it did, for like an hour. Generally, he is acting normal, alittle slower then usual. However, he has always been a very straight swimmer, and he's begun to swim almost has if he is leaning to one side. This worries me very much as I am also unable to test for anything (left my test kits at home!! :( )

Any advice would be much appreciated, and I'm very sorry I can't provide any clue about my water quality until the mail comes ( with my test kits!) on tuesday. Thanks so much!!

That isn't good about the temps. Keeping them stable is at the utmost importance. He could be effected by this.

Since you have recently moved him, did you keep the bio filter intacted or did you start new?

Obviously getting the water tested needs to be done asap, so in the meantime I would do a water change.

Guest starpetals27

I kept the bio filter intact for the move, should I have started fresh? I just did a 30 percent water change, and borrowed 3 fans from people around me, but its still so hot :crp! Thanks for your advice!

Guest starpetals27

Does anyone know if its better for my fish to remain at a constant 80 degrees, or to continue to subject it to the frozen water bottle treatmeant which lowers the temp to 75 for an hour or two? I'm very attached to him, and I afraid I'm making him worse by adding the bottles and changing the temperature so quickly. He's been growing more sluggish as the day goes on, which is totally unlike him too. Thanks for any help!!

Gf can handle 80 degrees with plenty of oxygen in the tank, so if you have an airstone it should be fine. I would think it is not good to bounce the temp around.

And starting with the filter is good, starting fresh would have been bad. Hopefully the good bacteria survived the move with you.

Hang in there and do small water changes, that should help.

Guest starpetals27

Thanks so much Laurie! The tank temp is now pretty much stable at 79 degrees and he isn't swimming as lopsided as before, but he is still pretty lethargic. I heard its supposed to cool down this weekend, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for your help! Just a quick question, will higher tank temperatures effect any of the ammonia, nitrate or nitrite readings? Thanks!

How did you get your tank at a stable 79 degrees? I just noticed last night that when my fish is resting at night, it tilts also. My tank temp goes from 80 or 82 in the evening to 84 or 86 during the day. I don't know if this is really drastic for my fish, but I'm not going to put ice bottles in the tank for my fish seems to be okay during the day.

Guest starpetals27

To lower the temperature (and to try and keep it as stable as possible) I grabbed as many fans as I could (3) and set them around my tank. It only brought the temperature down one degree, but it kept it from fluctuating as much as it did before.

I'm not really sure how different fish react to different temperatures but it seems that going from 80-86 in one day could be hard on a fish. My guy was acting totally loopy after a few degrees change, but maybe he's more sensitive to temperature differences. Hopefully someone with more experiance then I will be able to give you a better opinion :)

The heat can effect the cycle if it isn't cycled. Once the cycle is in place then it will be ok. Warmer temps can speed up a cycle process when cycling is taking place.

I would still check them asap when you get the tests back.

Guest starpetals27

AHH!!

This morning I got up and looked in his tank, and he was floating on his head! The temperature has not changed from 79 for the past few days, so I'm thinking it could be my water!! He's since begun to swim around alittle, but very unevenly and he wouldnt eat. I'm lost without my test kits :( Does uneven swimming and listless floating sound like anything I can fix without knowing the results of my water tests? I really don't want to lose my fish, and I feel awful knowing I put him in this water without the means to test it. Thanks for your help!!

What type of fish is he?

has he ever had floaty issues before?

Is he pooing? not pooing..constipated?

I realy feel for you, no test kits...Id be lost too :(

maybe do a large waterchange to be on the safe side sinse you feel it could be the water...and see how he reacts

also you could salt the tank as a tonic to help too.

Guest starpetals27

Well, he's bit of a mystery fish actually. My first posts were about what type of fish Zeus was, and its still up for debate. I took a picture of him and took it to a fish vet, and he said it was probably a nymph goldfish, so I guess I'm going to go with that.

He's never had any health problems before, and I've put him through a lot in my attempts to become a better fishmommy :( He does have a gigantic belly though. I thought it might have been constipation or bloating, so for the last few months I've been soaking his food and giving him peas but it hasn't really changed.

He seems to be getting worse by the hour, :cry1 so I'm going to go do that large waterchange and definetly salt the tank, thank you so much for all your help!

Guest starpetals27

His body type looks more like a fancy, but he's got flat straight fins like a comet. (so cute!)

I moved him in a smallish rubbermaid tub with tank water from home ( it was alittle over an hour drive) and then set up his tank.

I really really hope its just the stress thats making him act so weird. Thanks so much for your help!!!

Guest starpetals27

This is Zeus at about 3 inches

img04807ug.th.jpg

This is Zeus and his puppy dog eyes... someone wants food!

img04811cj.th.jpg

-I really hope that this is an ok method of posting pictures, (its the only way I know of). But if there is another way I should do it, please let me know-

Do you have any more pictures of Jenson? I'd be curious to see him too!!!

Thanks!

Jenson.jpg

This is Jenson when we first got him.

Fishies3003.jpg

This is him a little while ago, showing his tail growth. It is even longer and more flowing than that now. If I can get a more up to date pic to show you I will, but it's a bit difficult at the moment.

I think Zeus and Jenson are different, and yet I can see some similarities in the body shape.

Both beautiful!! :heart

Guest starpetals27

Wow, Jensons tail is gorgeous! :D

I really hope Zeus lives through all this and grows up to be as beautiful as your nymph is!!

Just an update, he is no longer swimming around the tank, he just floats at the top on his side and grabs as many air bubbles as he can. If this is a swim bladder issue, does anyone know if there is anything I can do? :( I've done one large water change and salted his tank ( 1 tsp per gallon) I love my fish, and watching him like this is so heartbreaking. Thanks so much!

Hi! Zeus sure is a good-looking fish! I hope he wil be ok! :heart

Gn just made it through a big heat wave - I was very worried - the tank got up to 82 one day! That's when I iced it, but luckily I had a lot of air and that seemed to help - and the tank had just completed cycling! I never thought about that, laurieP, but it makes so much sense! I hope Zues feels himself again soon!

Georgous fish!!!

Sorry i didnt see your post earlier today...I was at school today and am only home for a few mins as my X hubby just flew in to melbourne so I got to take the kids to se him.

Im sorry to hear he is not swiming :(

Does he have an airstone in there? and maybe another waterchange could help. Its so hard to judge without water params.

Does he look bloated/fat like he could be constipated?

I will be back in about 2 hours to check on this thread.

Guest starpetals27

Oh its ok LuvMuhFred! I am so grateful to have found this board, this really is a great place :)

He does have an airstone, and at the moment he has kind of postitioned himself above it so he can gulp the air bubbles. I've been worried that he may be constipated (his sides are so huge) but I dont really have any access to peas, and he hasn't really been eating. Is there anything else I could do for constipation?

Also, my tank has always been relativly clear ( with a green tint) but as of the water change yesterday, the tank became whitish-cloudy, which I have never seen before. I'm going to do another waterchange and after that, if my test kits haven't arrived in todays mail, I'm hopping on the bus to the pet store to get some.

Thanks to everyone for their help, this board is such a wonderful resource. Thank you!!!

Starpetals, has he always looked this way? Or is he very swollen?

He almost looks like a pearlie without the rest of the body.

I would fast him for a couple days and change the water 50%. Make sure to temp match it, if you are doing alot of changes keeping the temp the same is a must or you could throw him into shock.

It doesn't sound good with him gasping for air. Does it look like he is "burbing or yawning"? That can be a sign of parasites.

And while there is nothing new to bring parasites, they can live on fish and not cause a problem until the fish's immune system is compromised (from another illness or a move) and then they can't keep the parasite in check anymore.

Guest starpetals27

Well he was very small when I first got him, and pretty thin too. After like a week or two he began to plump up, and he kept on ballooning out after that. He's about 5 months old now, so I'm not sure whether the belly is part of his genetics or a health problem.

His "gasping" looks like regular breathing, just really really fast.

In watching him today, his eyes also look kinda bulgy. Not startlingly huge, but I do think they may be more pronounced then before. Popeye?

I'm leaving after class to get test kits, so I'll post the results as soon as I can.

Thanks so much for your help! This fish means so much to me, I really want him to be ok :(

Guest starpetals27

Oh wow...

Ammonia= 8.0 ppm Yikes!!

Nitrites=0 ppm

Nitrates=5.0 ppm

Ph= 8.0

I've been doing 30 percent water changes daily and adding ammolock, is there anything else I can do to bring the ammonia down? Poor fishy. Thanks for your help!!!

Archived