Problems

Guest Triciastu

Guest Triciastu

I posted a little while back about a wierd smell with my new tank. I changed 50% of the water and that took care of it. After two days it started again so I changed about 35% of the water. Well it is starting to smell again. It's cloudy too. I have been leaving the light on alot can that cause a problem. I am starting to wonder if the filter I have isn't good enough. It came in the kit for the new tank set up. Any suggestions would be great! I can't stand the sight and smell! It is in my kitchen help!!!!!!!!

I cannot find the information as to how many gallons per hour the TopFin10 filters. You need it to do at least 100 gallons per hour for it to handle your 10 gallon tank.

It is entirely possible that you have an underfiltered tank. It is possible that you have just created a beginning cycle in your tank - causing the water to look whiteish hazy and smell a bit funky for a few days.

I do not know how long you have had this tank running or how you are cycling it or how many fish you have, etc. There are many factors that could cause differing problems or conditions.

Could it possibly be just finishing a cycle?

Guest Triciastu

The tank was set up two weeks ago today. It couls be finishing a cycle. I changes the filter and it was crazy dirty! I checked the levels and the ammonia was about 4-5. I changed about 80% of the water. I think I am going to get a bigger and better filter!

Hi :)

If your tank was set up two weeks ago and you still have amonia then it is still cycling.

Once the amonia is at 0 NitrItes at 0 and nitrAtes are present then the cycle is completed.

You siad you changed the filter???

Did you completly replace it?

If so then adding a new filter now will crash what was the start of your cycle and it will have to start all over from the begining again.

Hopefully you did not throw out the old filter...its holding the good bacteria needed to complete the cycle.

If you still have it rinse it in some disgarded tank water (not tap water as chlorine will killl the good bugs) just rinse it to get rid of the large debris and place it back in the tank.

this explains the cycling process:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

let us know whats happening soon.

Edited to add: Do you have fish in there? as amonia being at 5 is very high for the fish.

Archived