Upside Down, And Tail Practically Non Existent

Guest hi im super sasha

Guest hi im super sasha

I've had two fish - a lionhead & a common living happily together in a tank for almost 3 months. Just a few days ago (August 24th) I got 4 :newfish from the store. They are all baby fantails & my other fish are a good inch bigger than them. The guy at the fish store said that they'd be fine living with my fish in their current accomodations. & my fish aren't aggressive so I wasn't really worried about them attacking the new fish.

They were okay until last night when I noticed one of them (Andy) was practically floating on top of the water and upside down so he could keep his head in water. His tail was much smaller than the others' and it looked like a bunch of hairs. But he was still breathing & moving occaisionally. I didn't really know what was wrong with him :( so I just went to bed.

This morning when I woke up I noticed the same thing had happened to another one of my fish, Roxy. She didn't look nearly as bad as Andy as she was still able to swin fairly well even though her tail was quite bad and she was upside down a lot. I was pretty sure that the big fish had been doing it so I quickly transferred all the babies to a bucket (I don't have a spare tank or anything) and put some plants and stuff in there for Roxy & Andy to hold onto to stop them floating up.

I dropped in some sinking granule food things for them but only the two (Ninja & Roger) who looked okay could really eat it. Andy is totally hopeless - he floats upside down all day, and doesn't bother trying to get food. Roxy is better - she swims upside down, but doesn't float, and can sometimes get food but isn't usually quick enough.

So I dropped in one of those vacation food things that dissolve because don't they get food from those by like inhaling it? I dunno, but it's pretty much the only way Andy can get food.

So I was just wondering if there's anything I could do? Or will they EVER recover? Or would it be better to put them down or something?

Please help. :cry1:cry1:cry1

Hi, Im not an expert in this, but what you are describing sounds something like i had last year. It could be that the new fish were ill when you got them but took a day or two to appear. also did you quarantine the new fish before putting into main tank??

If you fishes tail looks like 'hairs' it sounds like fin rot, and could be why its upside down. could also have a problem with its swim bladder.

im sure other more experienced people will post back to you soon with better advice. claire

hi!

first of all, welcome to kokos.

What size tank do you have your fish in? fancy goldfish should have 10 gals per 1, and commons need at least 15.

so all in all thats about 65 gals that you would need for all those fish!!

swimbladder problems can be caused by high levels of nitrates in the water.

I would suggest that if you havent already - you get the baisic 4 test kits - ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph.

then come back to us with the results of all four, in the meantime, i would suggest doing a 50% water change every other day.

good luck with that

Alice

Archived