Guest 2 lil fancies

Hi all, i need some help please.

My betta is lethargic and not eating, and i don't know what's up with him

He's currently in 3 gallon tank with no filter

ammonia 0

nitrAte 25mg per litre

nitrIte 0

50% water change last night

Last night i moved him out of a tank with 7albino cories in coz they seemed to be hassling him, and i'd noticed he was off his food last night.

3 of the cories are new, only moved in on tuesday..all of them are fine

Tai the betta was moved in at the same time as the remaining cories.

The original tank was a 10 gallon cycled 6 month old tank with params the same as above.

He's listless, uninterested in food or me. Hovering either at the top of the tank, or at the bottom behind his plants and not moving.

He POSSIBLY has a thin white fuzz on his tail, but it could be his markings. There seems to be a tiny bit of thread (black) sticking out under his chin.

I'm in the uk so have limited medical supplies for him.

Please help

Thanks

:unsure: It's hard to say at this point exactly what could be wrong.I personally would do another water change with evenly matched temp water.Some fish may be more sensitive with Nitrates. Cories are usually one of the most docile fish,how were they hassling him? What do you normally feed your Betta? Does he have any other symptoms?

Guest 2 lil fancies

OMG i just did a 100 per cent water change and when i put the lil guy back in his tank, his tail split?!

The cories were darting at him and trying to catch hold of his tail.

I've had him 2 weeks

please help! what can i do?

Guest 2 lil fancies

grr my petshop think he's been attacked and have told me to get a breeding trap and stick him in it back in the main tank

they rekon i've stressed him doing the water change?

help!!!

they rekon it's not fin rot coz he only went down hill last night

confused

Its unusual for cories to attack another fish. Are they swimming up to get him or is the betta on the gravel at the time? What temperature is the water and is it stable. If theres no heater then the fluctuations can make bettas sick.

What are you feeding the fish and how much?. I think you should move the cories out just now and leave the betta on his own.

Guest 2 lil fancies

Hi sandy

thanks

he was down near the bottom.

As there's seven of them and one of him, Tai's had to come out. I onlu have a 3 gallon spare.

He's been eating fresh bloodworm and daphnia, and the occasional fish flake or dried blood worm. 90 % of his food has been the fresh worms.

Guest 2 lil fancies

Sorry, the water temp is 26 degrees c and stable. None of the tanks have heaters and the temperatures never drop as the room is quite warm

The temperatures have been watched very closely for 2 weeks.

Have you seen him poo recently and if so was it normal. All i can think of is he may be constipated. Feeding all those worms as well may not be a good idea, try starving him for a few days and then feed squashed pea like you would for a goldie to try and get his insides moving.

Sometimes water changes will stress Betta's out,especially if you're not treating,or matching the tank temps.Going by the years that I've kept Cories,I tend to think that the tail split probably came from poor water quality.The best thing for him now is to keep his water absolutely pristene. Good luck with him.

Guest 2 lil fancies

Hiya

Been really careful with the water, devs but thanks hun :)

Glad to know my cories aren't to blame.

Well the little guy didn't make it :(

Feel like i could've done so much more, but no idea what......

Poor Tai :) Sorry baby.

Now i gotta explain to a two year old where her favourite fish is :(

Thanks for all your advice

Sorry that he didn't make it :( Bettas are sometimes hard to acclimate (at least I have found that). Sometimes they don't eat for weeks after you get them, and I have found that they don't really like to be moved too much. I think they get stressed by moves.

Funny thing about them, though, once they are all settled in a tank that suits them, they seem to be easy to care for.

Again, I am sorry.

Guest 2 lil fancies

Thanks guys :) Maybe that's what it was...too much movement and those psycho cories whizzing...just wish i knew.

Think my partner wants another one lol! Crazy man!

Any way,no chance for a while and i'll be back here with dozens of questions before we think about picking a new one for emma.

Thanks for all the support on here. He thinks i'm mad for crying over a fish lol!

Take care

Archived