Pleco Types...

Guest mickey85

Guest mickey85

here's a question for y'all...

At the LFS that I go to, they have a "rubber pleco," a "gold Nugget pleco," and a "royal pleco." are these okay for goldfish? they grow to a small size (largest is 8", smallest [nugget] is 5"). I don' tknow if these guys eat slime coats or not...

I'd definately believe the rubber pleco to be safe, im assuming its 'Rubbernose' but Ive seen the gold nugget ones (supposively) at a lfs around here, and those things were as long as my arm...and as thick! :yikes Id steer clear of em if I were you.... Ive never heard of the other however...Id rather be safe then sorry :unsure:

:unsure: Did they list the "L" number's on each of these Plec's? Sometimes Pet Stores aren't the best when it comes to the Correct names on fish.I've seen that first hand.And also,there are soooooooooo many species of Pleco's that kind of /sort of look like other's,but in reality, are another species all together.

yes, they will probably do good with goldies; although the rubbernose is the only (real) algae eater although the scobiancistrus (gold nugget) will eat some algae he is still a very cool fish. Although I encourage branching out and getting the rarer varieties so don't feel confined to just getting algae eaters ;)

on the L191 (panaque) he may eat algae from time to time, but not as much as a L165? clown plec, I have recently bought one from mmm which are gregarious plecs, which are somewhat good of algae eaters. These all require bogwood it is MANDATORY, which helps aid their digestion.

Just uot of curiosity did you find these at a commercial pet store? (i.e. mmm vvvv etc.)or just a small local buisness?-hope this helps. ;)

Archived