Transfering Fish

Guest Intermouse

Guest Intermouse

Hi I have Goldfish in a 5g tank and water temp is 68deg I came up with an idea to put goldie into the 40g tank I have which is 75deg. I got a small see through Tuppaware container and filled it with the water from the small tank and put goldie in it. I then floated it in the big tank. She seems happy she can see out and the water will warm around her. Any opinions would be appreciated because the other way I was doing it to acclimatise her was stressing her out. Which was adding a cup of warm water at a time to her bowl I put her in and then removing a cup and throwing it out and so on and so forth.

I don't have heaters in my goldie tanks. The temp stays around 70-72 (which is definately cold to the touch). Goldfish are cold water fish.

im not sure about temps and all, but if i wanted to do what you were doing, id keep him in his 5gal and slowly as every hour goes by increase the temp by 1deg or 2....then put him in

Guest mickey85

float the fish, and make sure that the water t hat he's in is the same temp as the water that is in the tank, THEN start adding the new water. you don't want to doubly stress him out.

It is never a good idea to do temp changes more than 2 degrees suddenly. It can cause stress or illness to the fish.

By either seperating the fish and adding warm water every hour to the tank or by floating the fish for 20 mins in the warmer water you should be ok. Whichever is easier I think would work fine.

Archived