It Looks Like Its Gonna Blow!

Guest holly_wojo

Guest holly_wojo

i've had this goldfish for a little over two years. it's about 6". for the past few months it's been getting really big. it started out just on one side almost like an abnormal figure that poked out a little bit. someone said it might of been a tumor. today i noticed now he is completely round. about almost two inches around. his scales around him are starting to seperate almost. it sort of looks like they starting to stand outward on him. he reminds my of a blowfish. he looks like he might explode. does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thats not good-It seems like he's getting dropsy-Which is one of the hardest diseases to cure :/

You should post this in the disease section and awnswer as MANY of the questions in the top white box as you can

Hello, Holly and welcome to Koko's.

This sounds like a case of dropsy - an extremely serious condition that needs immediate attention.

I am going to give you some links to information about dropsy and some treatments and then I am going to move your post over to the Emergency SEction of this board. There will be many there who will help you with any questions you may have.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=12658

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=33722

Guest holly_wojo

... i'm not sure about most of these things. my boyfriend usually takes care of the fish. we have three filters, we feed them wardley premium flakes, there really isnt any unusual behavior he's just big, our tank is pretty big it's about 100 gallons. weve had it running for a few months. he changes the water all the time. im not sure how much or how often, usually when the water isnt clean i think. we have 3 algae eaters they are about 4 to 5". one black moor about 4 1/2". then 7 other goldfish that range 3 to 6" long. the usual findings were the scales sticking upward. they are almost identical to the pictures daryl showed me. except mine is a lot fatter. oh yeah, and we also have a baby turtle about 1 1/2" that lives on it's rock above the water in the tank, but it does have access to the water though, i dont know if that might have something to do with it. but's that's all the information i know. all of the other fish seem perfectly fine though. it's just that one. that's why i was asking is it contagious or not.

Guest mickey85

if its dropsy, it very well might be contagious (most betta people that I talk to think that it's due to poor water conditions, etc), so if I were you, I'd get him out of that tank asap...

Do you live in the US? I can send you some medicated food in an envelope. Your other other fish have probably been exposed and it will be really nice to feed them it just incase, or as soon as they start showing symptoms. Go see my pinned post in Goldfish discussion about free metro-med and medi-gold. I hope your fishie gets better. I'll send it as fast as I can, but it might not make it to your fish in time...maybe it can help your other fishies tho.

Hi,and Welcome. Sorry to hear that you're in need of help though. To do our very best to help you,it would be great if you could get your boyfriend to give you the results of any water testing that he may have done. PH/Ammonia/Nitrite/NitrAte,etc.Ask him what size/types of filter's he has on the tanks--How much water he changes out,and how often-and ask if he has seen any other strange behavior/or symptoms from the sick fish such as frayed fins/red streaks/red spots/Lumps/staying on bottom of tank,etc. Drepsy is only a symptom .In order for us to figure out exactly what's causing it,the more info filled in from up above the reply box, the better.Post soon!

Archived