Ryukin

tinkerbell

A while ago i went away for a week and the person left in charge of the fish food overfed them, and as a result, when i came back, most of them had finrot. anyway, i managed to rid them of it, but my female ryukin just seems to be getting worse. Also, she now has red patches on her tail. i have started putting melafix in the tank, as well as salt at .1%

i know i am 1 fish overstocked at the moment, but i do 20% water changes every other day to keep params normal.

here is a pic of her tail

finrot.jpg

and another

finrot2.jpg

Ammonia Level: 0ppm

Nitrite Level: 0ppm

Nitrate Level: 0ppm

pH Level: 7.7

pH Level from tap: 7.73

Tank Size: 40 gal

Filtration: fluval 3+

Water Changes: 20% every other day (i have always done this)

Fish: 2 ryukins, 1 pearlscale, 1 oranda, 1 moor

Unusual findings: tail on my ryukin is all read and tattered

Unusual Behavior: nothing.

Food: Frozen Bloodworms, fish pellet, flakes, peas

Have you never tested nitrates at all tinks? Go test your tap water and write down what it says for nitrate. Do it from a glass though.

How long has the tank been running for and what filtration, also how much are you overstocked.

ok, i will go do the nitrates in amin.

the tank has been running for about 8 months, and yes, i did cycle it. :)

i am 1 fish overstocked, as you can see, that is the reasons for my 20% w. change every other day. :)

i have put some melafix into the tank now, and she is looking slightly better. i will get more pics up.

cheers Sands. :hug

The main things that cause blood in the fins are:

Stress

Nitrate poisoning

Ammonia or Nitrite accumulation

Parasitism or

Bacterial sepsis (systemic infection)

It sounds as though it could be from a bit of stress as well as some water issues brought on by too much waste and the main thing to do in this situation is keep your water salted and perfect - exactly as you have done :)

Who will be feeding them when you're gone? Hopefully they'll only feed them a little once or twice a day.... :)

its going to be my dad this time, and i have decided to measure out the amounts for him, so he just has to empy them into the tank. :)

i have also hidden the food.

its not that i dont trust him, i just know how tempting it can be.

i have done a big water change today, so hopefully all will be well.

i know they can survive without food for that long, but i just dont like the idea of them being hungry. :crp

Oh I know - whenever BB (short for Bottom Burp) my little floater needs a good fast, I have the greatest difficulty.... He's in the tank right beside my lounge and he swims right beside my head, wriggling back and forth as if to say "bad Jen, bad, bad Jen - feeeeeed me" and it's hard to hold out :D

Measuring out the food's a great idea though .... I remember when my mum came over and she said "oh they look so hungry - can we feed them?" so I said, "sure why not?". Then to my horror, she pours out about 2 tablespoons full of flake food into her hand (for 4 fish) and asks "what do I do now?"... so I said..."well, for a start, we can put 95% of it back..." (picture police raid scene where the cop yells "drop the gun and put your hands in the air!") :lol:

heya guys

unfortunately while i was away she died. :crying: i dont know what happened. although she had the red streaks in her tail, there was no other obvious signs of illness. :(

im kinda glad i wasnt there to see it though.

thanks for all the help. :bighug

Archived