Leaking Tank

tmkx3

:crp I have a 30g that has water in the corner along the edge where the glass and the bottom rim come together. What do I do? I have a 29 with goldies in it. Can I put my tropicals in there until I can reseal,how do you reseal?When I emty the tank will I have to recycle? :crp :crp :crp :crp

The best and cheapest thing you can do is find or buy a large plastic tub to use as a temporary tank while you seal the tank again. If you put your tropicals in with your goldies you run a very real risk that they will be eaten. A goldie will try to eat anything they can - and can even get a larger tropical stuck in their throat, killing the tropical fish as well as the goldie. It is better not to risk it.

When you get the tub, syphon as much of the water from the leaker into the tub. Place the fish in the tub. Take off your filter and hang it over the side of the tub and start it going. Now your fish are safe and your cycle is working in the tub. You can even hang the heater over the side of the tub - just make sure it is not leaning up against the plastic of the tub. You can drop any larger decorations and rocks you have into the tub too, to preserve any beneficial bacteria and yummy green algae they may possess.

Now you can scoop out gravel. I would suggest using this opportunity to rinse the gravel out - if you use dechlorinated water or the last of the tank water, you can preserve a lot of the beneficial bacteria that reside in the gravel. On the other hand, since most of the cycle is in the filter, it is really not that necessary. If you wish to maintain the gravel "alive" just put it in a small amount of water for the time you reseal. It should stay just fine - and not loose too much. No matter how well you rinse it, though, it will be messy and it is better not to put it in the tub - it will foul it.

When your tank is completely empty, dry it carefully. I let it sit in the sun for a number of hours to make sure it is really dry. Peal out the old sealant and reseal.

When the sealant stops smelling like vinegar - sometimes this takes substantially more time than what it says on the tube - you should do a leak test.

Set the tank in the center of a layer of dry newspapers. Carefully fill the tank and let it sit for at least 4 hours - I like to do it overnight or for a day. The newspapers will easily show any wetness that comes from the tank, helping you to identify which edge is leaking.

If your tank is sealed, place the cleaned gravel and such back into the tank and refill with some of the water from the tub and fresh water. Put the fish back in, the filter and heater back on and you are done. Most likely you will see no bump in your cycle - but you should test carefully for a few days to check it and deal with anything that might happen. If the cycle is affected, it should bounce back strongly and well, within a day or two.

A leaking tank is a big pain in the rear, but it does not have to be a disaster!

:)

Archived