Water Cycle

Guest Intermouse

Guest Intermouse

Hi Everyone Last Sunday 21/08/05 I started up my tank. I filled it with rainwater I have in an outside tank. The next day I added 10 Danios to the tank to help with cycle. The PH was 7.6. The next day the PH was 7.4 and Ammonia 0.25. Day after that PH was 7.5 Ammonia 0.25. Day after PH 7.0 Ammonia 0.0 Today the PH is 6.8 and Ammonia 0.0. The tank itself is very clean (see pic)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/Intermouse/MyTank.jpg

Nothing seems to be happening like what I have read about. Can anyone help.

Your tank looks like a 10g? Anyway, not much would be happening because daninos are only tiny and don't produce much waste. It is waste that eventually forms ammonia and nitrIte.

It is strange that your pH has dropped so much, your water may not hold much buffer and you may need to address this issue in the future. Keep an eye on the pH and see if you can note any trends.

Sorry for the mistake Intermouse. :rolleyes:

It will take a long time for your readings to register, because of the low bioload. Do you have nitrIte tests as well?

I had one weird experience where the ammonia was hardly registering so I didn't bother testing for nitrItes until my fish were acting strange one day. Whoa! my nitrItes were over 2 and my ammonia was a measly .25. Don't know how that managed to happen but keep an eye open for it. ;)

Guest Intermouse

Yes I test everyday My Nitrites are 0 Nitrates 0 Ammonia 0 PH 6.8

I am thinking of adding my three goldfish to the tank to help out what do you think??

Could you add just one? I'm just worried that all three would be a large bioload and you would have the reverse problem to now. You would get high readings and it could be dangerous.

Have you considered using either Biospira or Cycle products to give your tank a kick start? I have always used Cycle and have never had high readings during cycling. I have cycled a brand new tank with Cycle in 3 weeks, everything went exactly as they showed on the graph in the instructions.

edit: are your 3 goldfish living in a cycled tank? If so would it be possible to use some of their 'mucky' gravel in your new tank? It contains lots of helpful biobugs, just 2 or 3 handfulls would be sufficient. Also would it be possible to transfer some of the filter media into the new tank for the same reason.

I wouldn't use rainwater exclusively for a goldie tank.

Rainwater is usually very soft and not well buffered.

Goldies like harder water GH of at least 100 and you need KH up over 5dh to keep pH stable. Could you post your water test readings?

Archived