Concerned About Comet

Guest Chishower

Guest Chishower

Ok...I am not TOO concerned, but this has been nagging at me for some time so I figured I would just make sure everything is ok.

Ammonia Level 0ppm

Nitrite Level? 0ppm

Nitrate level? 5 ppm

Ph Level? 7.7

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.73

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55 gallon, three weeks

What kind of Filtration? One Aquaclear 30-60 And one pre-established penguin 150

How often do you change the water and how much? 10% every other day...barebottoms get dirty!

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? Prime, Calcium, and Iodine (snails need em)

Any Medications add to the tank? Nope

How many fish in the tank and there size? a 3-4 inch Sarassa Comet and a 3 inch Red Capped Oranda, then 6 lil brig snails and a 4 inch Bristlenosed Pleco

Add any new fish to the tank? Nope

What do you feed your fish? Krill, Bloodworms, Cucumber, Zuchinni, Tubifex Worms, Peaches, Peas, Wardleys Pellets, and Wardleys Algea Wafers

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? A tad bit of fin fraying on the Oranda

Any unusual behavior? Like stayin at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Comet displaying erratic behavior, spazzing out and darting around the tank, even jumped out of the water a few times (thank you hood!)

If you can what is the chloramines Levelfrom the Tap? Dunno

Ever sense I have got him, my Comet has had weird poo. It is always brown, and always kind of stiff like he ate some wood, even when I feed him non-brown foods. Recently, he has been displaying rather erratic behavior, darting around the tank and even jumping out of the water, and the occasional "follow twink around and make her run into a peice of driftwood and tear her fins". I think I will be getting him his own 10 gallon tank soon, until he gets his little outdoor pond, but I am worried about this sudden change of behavior. Am I just overreacting?

That is very strange. I don't think it's your water, everything seems ok and your oranda is not flashing.

It isn't unsual to always have brown poo, what type of poop does your oranda have? If it is always hard and stiff you could be overfeeding, once again how does this compare to the orandas?

How long have you had both your fish? Did they arrive after the new tank? I'm just wondering if perhaps there are parasites involved, once again one would imagine that the oranda would have them too.

It could simply be that the comet is a highly strung fish with lots of nervous energy. A 55g should be plenty big enough for a fish of it's size though, I think it would go mental if you put it in a 10g.

Guest Chishower

I wanted to move him out because I am worried the oranda might get hurt again, he is fast outgrowing the little dear.

I have had both fish for about 4 months, and both of them had a QT period before they were put together. The oranda has had mostly normal poo, there are a few clear spots in it occasionally. Also, the other day she had an abnormally long one.

I did recently get a new goldfish, a big oranda but it is in quarentine. I dont use nets, and I dont use the python on his QT tub, but I am starting to worry that there has been some cross contamination, maybe on my hands or something. The big fish does sometimes rub on the walls when he turns...he is in salt for that.

Oh dear...I hope I didn't accidentaly get parasites in my big tank...

The new fish rubbing on the walls when turning is just it getting used to the dimensions of it's new tank. I have a large fish in a 15g and it still does this after 3 mths. It doesn't necessarily mean it has parasites, usually a fish will dive onto the gravel and vigorously rub itself against objects/gravel if it has parasites.

Yeah, I think your comet is just hyperactive, perhaps a little constipated with it's poops too.

May I suggest waiting until the new fish is also in the 55g and see if anything changes with the comet. Sometimes the addition of new fish change the dynamics of behaviour and your comet may settle down. Otherwise, I understand that you don't want your original oranda damaged so you could eventually try the 10g for the comet, as a last resort. I don't think it would like it. Maybe it will have to be re-homed in the long run?

Guest Chishower

I guess I was just being a paranoid fish mommy. Better to be safe than sorry, though. :)

If I can find someone with a well cared for pond, then I would be glad to give him a new home but until then I guess he is going to have to learn to play nice. For now, though, I will fast for a few days to see if too much food and constipation was the problem. Do you think I should salt to .1% or .2%, just in case something did get in there? Or should I just let it be.

Well, salt really needs to be at .3% for it to have any effect on parasites. I don't think that is the problem.

You could try leaving the tank lights off and even covering an area of the tank to create a "dark, quiet area". He might settle more if he doesn't get spooked or surprised. I bet your anything he hangs out in the darkened area most of the time. ;)

Archived