Inexpierenced And New Goldfish Owner

Guest Trinity

Guest Trinity

Hey guys!

I'm new to the whole goldfishies things. I won my first 2 goldfish at a fair, then bought 5 more at the store. Now they are in a 10 gallon tank, with a Whisper Filter, Gravel, a small plastic castle, and a plastic plant. I love animals, and was really excited to get some goldfish. :D:D :D Now for my questions...

Question #1: Is it okay for my 7 goldfish to be in a 10 gallon tank? I read on the Koko's site how goldfish need 5-10 gallons per, but each of my goldfish are only an inch long. Is this alright?

Question #2: My goldfish never sleep? I've been watching my goldfish a lot, and they don't seem to sleep at all. I've tried closing all the lights , and checking on them, but they still swim around like crazy with the light on or off. Does this mean they're stressed or something? Plus, their poop is white or clear. Is this stress? And is there a way to relax them?

Question # 3: Is the current of my tank to strong? My goldfish always huddles around the opposite side of my tank. I don't have many decorations, does this cause the current be too strong?

Question #4: My parents are advising me to now get a testing kit, and I'm not sure if I should get one either. I want to get one, but they are a little too expensive. We're having a slight family crisis, we went to Australia. and my mom is going to taiwan, so our budget is pretty low this year and I don't wan't to spend extra money on a pretty expensive kit. Will frequent water changes be enough?

Question #5: Is it best for me to get a bubbler?

Question #6: Lately I've been seeing a lot of tiny white bubbles that gather around the surace edges of my tank, and my filter. I've cleared them out every so often, but they keep coming back, is this harmful?

Sorry for so many questions, and I hope it isn't too much to read. :S I just don't want my fishies to die, I want them to be healthy and live as long as possible. :)

~Trinity

Oooo,thats not good.

You just cant keep 7 gf in a 10 gall no matter how small they are :crp

They get stunted and live shorter and are more prone to diseases-Also the amonia,nitrites,and nitrates will go to high very fast.

When I started I had 4 tropical and 4 gf in a 10 gall because nooppee said i could.Right now,I only have 2 of the original ones.Test kits are pretty neccesary because your amonia or nitrites but go high and kill your fish.I recommend you try to do 1-2 water changes a day.And if you tank suddenly gets cludy-It's becaus ethere are 2 many fish and you get a bacteria bloom.It would be best to get an airstone(bubbler)and the current shouldnt be to strong-More decorations help break it up but it's ok for now-The bubbles,I forgot what they were so no help there-

And they'll only sleep around 1,2,or 3 am and only for a couple of hours.I've still never seen mine sleep(I think).It'd be best if you could atleast get a 55 gallon-I understand if you dont have enough money.My first fish died in less tahn half a week(the ones I had when I started)

Good luck-and hope this helps.Also try reading up on cycling a tank on the site ^_^

Guest Trinity

Ouchie. :S

Thanks though.

55 gallon tank? Er wow. O.o That seems pretty big. I'll see if I can get a bigger tank for Christmas or something...

I've been doing a 30% water change daily for awhile, 'cause I'm scared of all the Ammonias and Nitrites and Nitrates.

I swear I've read upon cycling at least 5 times. I know by heart, the Ammonia and Nitrites should to be below 2.0 during the first few days, if they get to high, I should do water changes. Then Nitrates start appearing and so on.

Should I add some Aquarium Salt or so?

So far, my water has been clear as crystal, let's hope it stays that way... :o

I'll be sure to get some testing kits, and a bubbler, thoses aren't that expensive compared to the tanks. But I really don't know how I'm going to get a larger tank though? Each of my fishies cost 28 cents per, and I don't want my parents to spend too much on my fishes and me. :S

So is there any chance that my fish will outlast a month?

~Trinity

Guest easytoentertain

Question #1: Is it okay for my 7 goldfish to be in a 10 gallon tank? I read on the Koko's site how goldfish need 5-10 gallons per, but each of my goldfish are only an inch long. Is this alright?

Goldfish need about 10 gallons per fish, it wont hurt them to be in it for a couple months, but if you want them to grow and be healthy you will have to have a bigger tank.

Question #2: My goldfish never sleep? I've been watching my goldfish a lot, and they don't seem to sleep at all. I've tried closing all the lights , and checking on them, but they still swim around like crazy with the light on or off. Does this mean they're stressed or something? Plus, their poop is white or clear. Is this stress? And is there a way to relax them?

Fish dont sleep very often, expecially when they are just starting out, as they get older they will rest at the bottom of their tank more, but is normal for them to move around all the time. And the poop is normally white in color, I dont know why, but it is normal.

Question # 3: Is the current of my tank to strong? My goldfish always huddles around the opposite side of my tank. I don't have many decorations, does this cause the current be too strong?

With young fish you do have to be careful with the filter, my brother had a babies tail get sucked into his filter, the poor thing never had a chance. But as long as they are not to near it they will be fine, you have to have the filter to keep the water clear and the fish healthy.

Question #4: My parents are advising me to now get a testing kit, and I'm not sure if I should get one either. I want to get one, but they are a little too expensive. We're having a slight family crisis, we went to Australia. and my mom is going to taiwan, so our budget is pretty low this year and I don't wan't to spend extra money on a pretty expensive kit. Will frequent water changes be enough?

You have to keep track of the chemicals in the water, exspecially with that many fish, if you dont test it you will not know for sure if the water is still safe, but until you can afford a kit keep up constant water changes, i find that replaceing part of the water is easier than all of it, because you dont have to remove the fish.

Question #5: Is it best for me to get a bubbler?

The bubbler is just an extra, the extra oxygen it adds to the water is a plus, but the bubbler is not a nessesity.

Question #6: Lately I've been seeing a lot of tiny white bubbles that gather around the surace edges of my tank, and my filter. I've cleared them out every so often, but they keep coming back, is this harmful?

That is probably from a chemical in the water, I am thinking from chlorine or chloramines in the water, you should go get drops to add to the water, i personally use Wardley Watercare Chlor Out drops, and have for the five years that i have had my fish.

I hope all this helps you some!

I dont think your going to be able to cycle a tank that small with so many fish, the ammonia is just going to build up way too fast! Hence the 1-2 (i would say at least 50% each) water changes a day thats needed to keep them down. Because your changing the water so often the bacteria and goodies dont have enough time to populate your tank.

I would take some of the fish back, or get a big plastic tub :) or a couple :P They would be so much happier and grow to be big healthy goldfishes! I know this comes as a pretty big shock, but its worth it :) I used to be overstocked, but now i'm understocked (110g) its soo much easier to keep under control.

Also i see that you moved to australia :) I live in brisbane at the moment. Most aquarium shops will test your water for free until you can afford to buy your own. I bought a aquarium pharmaceuticals test kit for around $30au, it tests nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and pH (high and low).

Guest Chishower

I would return the new 5. 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon is still a bit much, but it is much more managable than 7. If you want to keep them all, some options:

Get out every rubbermade/sterilite/plastic bin in the house and fill them up. If you don't have enough filters for all that, daily large waterchanges can help alot.

Are they fat or long and thin? That also will help figure out how much space you will need.

White poo is a bad thing, it can mean internal infections. Poo should be the same color as the food you feed.

A test kit can be one of the most important things in fishkeeping, other than the tank and filter in my opinion, and although it costs quite a bit it lasts a long time.

Clear water isnt always healthy water, either. Lots of breeders use green water in their tanks. A great quote I once heard:

"I tell my customers, vodka is crystal clear, but fish can't live in it" Thats another reason why you need test kits.

Don't worry, its a bit overwhelming at first but a very addicting and fufilling hobby.

Welcome to koko's. ^_^

EDIT: svendenhowser beat me too it. :D

Guest Trinity

Thanks Guys! ^^

I do use some Chlorine thingie that is supposed to make chlorinated tap water safe, so I don't that that would be the bubble problem...

Plastic Tub? You mean one of those that you store all of your junked up old barbie toys in?O.O I could get one fo those. Should I just get a giant plastic tub and put my fish in there instead?

Sad thing is, I don't think taking the fish back to the store would make them any happier. :'( nnnnnn has at least 40 fish crammed into a 3-5 gallon tank. Poor fishies...

I glad I have a whisper filter though, when I first put my fish in, they ran right up to the opening where the water goes through. Seemed as though the fish did't notice the suction. :D

Next time I go to nnnnnn I'll be sure to get some kind of testing kit. ^^

And some plastic tubs. ^^

My goldfish are the common ones. They are about 1 inch long, and less than a centimeter wide, so I was assuming that they wouldn't need that much space. Guess I was wrong. Poor fishies...

Thanks guys!

My goldfish are the common ones. They are about 1 inch long, and less than a centimeter wide, so I was assuming that they wouldn't need that much space. Guess I was wrong. Poor fishies...

Actually they need more :P They grow much faster and larger than your "fancy" type goldfish. Hence more waste. If they were to grow to their full potiental they wouldn't even be able to turn in a 10 gallon soon.

Hi there. :)

For the well being of the fish in your tank, I am going to be as candid as possible.

If you do not have plans to provide these fish with at least ten gallons per fish, then they really will be better off at the petshop again. the filtration they have at the pet shop is far superioir to any you have. Trust me, their water is clean as pertaining to ammonia and nitrItes. If you choose to keep them without proper gallonage and filtration, especially without test kits, then I can garauntee you that you WILL lose some of them, possibly most or even all of them.

Goldfish do sleep. In fact, contrary to the poster above, they need sleep on a daily basis. They mainly sleep during the dark times. They cannot close thier eyes so you cant really tell if they are sleeping just by looking at them. But, a fish that sits still for more than a few minutes is certainy resting. They ususally do not rest if their water is toxic or if they are stressed. This can compound illnesses.

You simply cannot keep fish happy and healthy without test kits. Especially in a new tank that is HEAVILY overstocked. Without tet kits, you will have NO possible idea as to how much water you should be changing. Sure, you can change however much water you feel like changing, but the simple fact remains that withot test results, you might not be changing enough. Since water quality is the single most important aspect of good fishkeeping, not having test kits is certainly a very large gamble.

A bubbler/aerator is the least of your worries right now.

The bubbles you see forming are a signal that your tanks water is going to start getting very toxic, very soon. Without test kits, you cannot know how much water you should be changing. The water is sure to become too toxic for them very soon.

If you really want to keep your goldies alive, happy and healthy for as long as you can, you will provide them with the necessities I list below:

10 gallons per fish

Filtration that pushes 100gph for every ten gallons of tankwater

Test kits to test daily during cycling. Weekly after that.

The 3 variables I listed above are the 3 most important aspects of keeping goldfish happy and healthy. Already, you are stretching these suggestions to their breaking points. Not a good start for the fish.

I very highly suggest that you take most of them back to the petshop. Unless, of course, you want to watch them die from a lack of the necessities listed. They actually stand a better chance back at the petsop than they do in your tank. I know it sounds harsh, but it is 100% true. No way around it. I figure its better to be bluntly honest about it now. ;)

Hope this helps.

Paul

What you could try, for the time being, is get a kiddie pool, one of hte big round plastic ones, they hold quiet a bit, and are cheap. THat could hold you over for awhile untill you get a suitable tank...

Guest Trinity

Thanks guys. ^^ Again.

Testing kit is on its way. nnnnnn is not cool. Ammonia tests itself are $10, and the hardness, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ph is also another $10 dollars. -_-, not cool.

Toothless: I'm kinda scared of returning my fish though. nnnnnn has 40 fish crammed into a 5 gallon tank, with the absolute same filter as I do, So I seriously doubt my fish are doing much worse than theirs. :'(

Searching for XXXXX large rubbermaid plastic container...

I'm currently doing 60% water changes everyday. The small bubbles are gone, and the fish seem slightly more relaxed. ^^

Funny thing is, I do have a kiddie pool. ^^ Unfortantly, it's too big to place it in the house, and my filter definatly won't work in that.

I'm amazed how badly I started off. O.o At least now I know... :cry1:cry1:cry1

So far all of my fish are alive and well. Spotted healthy poop. ^^

Thanks for all the information guys. lol, my family doesn't know when I suddenly became a goldfish magnet and knew so much about the care of my fish. :) . I'll try my best to get my fish what they need.

By the way, does anyone reccomend any specific kinds of testing kits?

~Trinity

Guest Chishower

Drop kits are best, I think Aquarium Pharmaceuticles (I swear, I cant spell that word!) makes a good test kit...

Also remember, the fish move through the store pretty quick. Yours are going to be living in your tank for a loooong time.

I got the aquarium pharmaceuticals one, its awesome. Its a master test kit, so it does all we want (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH (high and low) and it was only $30au. I'm sure you could pick it up a little cheaper over there.

Good luck with the fishes though! I remember when i was overstocked and had big plastic bins all over the house :P

Hmmmm. You seem to have a dilemma on your hands.

Every nnnnnn that I have ever been in has a central filtration unit. This means that all of the tanks set in the wall of fish is filtered by one large filtration unit behind it. Are you positively sure that they are using a filter exactly like yours? :huh: Either way, in taking this many fish on, you cannot possibly handle treating each of their symptoms, as they arise, in any sort of efficient way.

Regardless, if you arent planning on getting a 70-100 gallon tank soon, then these fish aren't going to be doing too well. Comets and commons are pondfish. This means they need a much larger body of water than fancy, double-tail type goldfish. Your goldfish are small now, but they grow fast and large.

Good luck with whatever you decide.... :)

Paul

Guest Trinity

Yes toothless, nnnnnn has a Whisper filter in each of their tanks in the back. :o I am positive they are using the exact same filter. Same size, color, shape, size of holes, and funtion in each of their tanks. I'm worried about that. :krazy::krazy:

Well, I plan on getting myself another tank to I'll be ready to 'quarentine' any fish if necessary. Which I hope won't be too soon...:X

If my fish do happen to suddenly get large, I think I'll be giving 1 or 2 away to one of my friends. ^^ She has a good 20 gallon tank I think, and perhaps she could take better care of a pair of fish than I. :cry1

Hmm...I might also give a few to my science teacher. She would also take better care of them.

If I get rid of 5 of my fish, would the 2 remaining be better off?

Thanks toothless. You've been a huge help. :D

Thats pretty disheartening about their fishtanks. Do they have a central unit running along with the whispers or something? I cant see how theyre keeping them alive for more than a single day with the set-ups you are describing. The ammonia and nitrItes would be sky high, without a doubt...... :(

2 goldfish, even comet/commons, would certainly be MUCH better off than 7 of them, in a ten gallon tank. Provided, of course, you have the correct amount of filtration for it. Something in the order of 150gph would be needed. Even when they are as small as they are right now. Of course, you will eventually need larger accomadations for them within a couple of months. They are the largest of the goldfish varieties and really do need more water than fancies. So, I would be thinking of a 30 gallon tank later on down the road. By then, I'll bet you can find some REALLY good deals on some used stuff, if you start looking now. ;)

As for giving them away to friends and such, it would be a really good idea to treat them all with a blaket treatment in a separate container. This will take around 3-5 days if you use Jungles Parasite Clear. 100% waterchanges every day with fresh additions of meds will keep the water clean enough during treatment. Once they are done, do not remove them to their original tank they are in now. They must go to thier new home immediately.

I mention the blanket treatment above becasue they probably have some sort of parasite they brought in with them, or, at least we should assume.. The last thing you want to do is give them to friends to put in their healthy tanks. Their fish could catch the bugs and get very ill and/or die. So, if the prospective adopters don't have a quarentine period set aside for incoming fish, you would do good to treat them now before you hand them off. Know what I mean? :huh:

Paul

Archived