Constipation And Swim Bladder

fantailfan1

I am currently cycling my tank (about 3 weeks now). Last readings taken 1 hr ago: Ammonia 0.0

Nitrite 0.50

Nitrate 5

pH 7.5

pH out of tap 7.3

Tank is 37 gallon with eclipse 3 hood and filter (250 gph) and Eheim Pro II 2026 (170 gph). I did a 50% water change and added Prime and salt. I ahve 2 fish--6" fantail and 3" ryukin. I feed them Pro Gold once a day and last night I gave them a couple of peas. No chloramine in the water--checked with water dept.

Also you should know my fantail got herself stuck in her rock 2 nights ago (another post) so she has been a bit stressed lately but is doing better and eating fine. The problem with her is I haven't seen her poop for quite some time other than a pellet sized poop here and there. Could she be constipated?

Then the ryukin is the subject of my next question. He seems like he's having some trouble getting to the top of the tank. If I feed him he shoots right up to the top without a problem but if I just sit and watch him it seems like he sometimes has trouble getting to the top. Could that be swim bladder? he goes back and forth in the tank fine but getting up looks like a bit of a struggle.

So my question: Since the treatment for constipation and swim bladder seems to involve a couple days of fasting followed by a couple days of peas, should i do this now or is fasting going to add to the stress of cycling the tank (not to mention Dorothy being stuck in her rock 2 days ago)?

What should I do?

Actually fasting is a great idea while the tank is cycling. It won't add stress to the fish and it helps to reduce waste in the tank.............easier to cycle.

The 2nd fish sounds like he could have some SBD problems, I would fast a couple days and then feed peas.

LaurieP--

Thanks again for your help with my goldies!! I'll fast them for a couple days then peas for a couple days. I don't think they'll like the fasting part but I really do think it's a good idea.

Hi there. :)

Just a thought:

If they are having difficulties like this, it might be advisable to remove them from the cycling tank. You can very easily house them, if they are small, in a temporary plastic bin while the tank is cycling. You would cycle the tank the fishless way and be performing 100% waterchanges every day to their temporary bin. In doing this, they will remain in perfect water until their tank is ready. I mean, your going to be doing a ton of waterchanges anyway. Might as well do them to keep the water perfect, rather than just keeping the ammonia and nitrIte levels low.

Again, just a thought...... ;)

good luck

Paul

Archived