Pond/ Koi

Lynn

How big is your pond? If it is under 1,500 gallons you would probably be better off with goldies and shubunkins. If the pond is too small the koi are just going too cause problems in the later years as they keep on growing.

Just to give you an example of how fast they grow I got my Koi babies in May they were all two inches long. Now my largest one is almost 9. The others are growing too but he is just huge. They are known for being mudders too. So you have to be careful when you have potted plants in a pond. I put small stones on top of my potted plants to keep the Koi out. My water lillies are with the Oranda's and Shubunkins but the Oranda's eat those leaves like crazy. Right Lachfa?

The pond I plan to dig can be as big as I like. The one I dug in July was about 20f X8f and the deepest is appox. 3, maybe four feet. The low end is 18 to 22 inches. I have a big yard and love to set and look at the fish swim. I have fantails in the big pond and shubunkins in a good size ready made pond. I hope to dig one last pond and put koi in one end and shubunkins in the other end with a roch water fall to keep them apart. :druel

Sounds like you know what you are doing then - just didn't want you putting one in a tank or something! :P I don't have any butterfly koi - but know a lady who does and they are to die for. Where are you from that may help someone locate where you can get them.

Try calling a local koi club and maybe they can help you out with a place too buy them. Incendentally most longfin koi are cheaper than the regular ones. I would expect too pay around $20 for a nice 4-6 incher.

Here are 3 clubs in tenn but I have know idea how close you are:

nashville pond society

www.nashvillepond.com

615-361-0880

the koi club of middle tennessee

No web address but the phone # is 615-302-0048

western tennessee pond society

Phone number 731-424-8919

:happydance Thank you guys for all the help. I will call them first chance I get. I am abouty two hours from Nashville and in middle Tenn. so I shouldn't have any trouble finding what I need and want. :druel

Archived