Prime And Nitrites

I know how Prime affects ammonia readings but what about nitrite testing? I'm cycling my tank and the ammonia finally got to 0 but then we had an incident where my fish got stuck in her rock (another post) and she wasn't doing so well, needed to reduce nitrites FAST and replace slime coat. So I started using Prime yesterday and my nitrite readings are way down thanks to the Prime and several water changes over a short period of time. (And the fish is looking WAY better too.)

So how do I know if the nitrite readings are low (they've been 0.25-0.50) because of the Prime or if the tank is getting cycled? If I stop using the Prime will the nitrites spike again? I plan on using the Prime til the nitrites reading is 0 but then can I stop and use jsut a dechlorinator instead like I did in my other tank?

FYI--I checked with my city water dept and chloramine is not used to clean our water jsut straight chlorine. My water tests 0.00 for ammonia and the pH of the tap water is 7.3, tank pH 7.5.

Thanks in advance!!

I think your nitrIte readings are decreasing because of all the water changes, not because of the Prime.

Prime will detox nitrIte to make it safe for fish but Prime does not remove nitrIte from the water.

Eg. If you didn't do water changes but added Prime and tested the water straight afterwards the nitrIte level should test the same as before you added the Prime. The nitrIte would be detoxed and safe though.

Archived