Discovered Fry In Pond!

SaneRedFox

What to do, what to do? I want to leave them in their place, so that's what I'll do -- I've never been a goldfish mommy before! The fry are shubunkin x ? mixes, I think -- because we had no male shubunkins at the time of birth it's very likely that the babies are shubunkin x fantail mixes! They're adorable, and range in size from misquito larvae to about [~~~~~~~~] that big -- so there's many batches going on, but we never saw any eggs!

I can tell that the "misquito larvae" sized ones are fish, though, because if you look up close they have tiny fins and eyes. They're adorably teeny and they dart around like nobody's business! I'll try and get some pictures, though I think the very little ones are too small to get pictures of~ I will certainly get ones of my bigger babies!

I can't believe I'm a mommy!! :heart:heart:krazy::wub:

Guest Pondandfish

Congrads to you!

I would take a few out of the pond and put them in the tank.

Kind of like "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

That's just how I figure. Other might not agree.

Congrads to you!

I would take a few out of the pond and put them in the tank.

Kind of like "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

That's just how I figure.  Other might not agree.

384288[/snapback]

I thought about it, honestly -- but our 55 gallon is filled to the brim (four small fantails and one small lionhead) and my 10 gallon is a bit small for babies of pond fish. I have a 20 gallon in the basement, but to cycle it and set it up would cost money and aggravate my parentals. :lol: One entire side of the pond, nearly inaccessable to their parents, is covered in anacharis -- huge bunches. The babies hang out there. And when I say it's covered, I mean it's like a weed up at that end! I knew it would be good for baby fish if we ever got any, and I was right! They're hiding out in the forest of Anacharis like it's they're little fort. Some of the more adventurous babies are going out and risking their little necks for some bits of their momma's and dad's food (especially since we have koi which are about 7" -- though they aren't necessarily a threat yet, they will be in the future to little ones).

So I sprinkled some food up in the anacharis hoping they'd go back there and stay put! :unsure:

I'm worried about them, but it's a world in only the strong survive, so I want the bravest and truest babies. Is that cruel?

I might bring little ones in for the winter, when it starts getting cold -- because they're a bit small to try and brave it -- but I think that it's a good go for now. Their parents don't seem concerned with eating them, thankfully. :)

I have photos of my fry!!! Here are some of the littlest babies, and one of the (we suspect 2 month old, because that's when we put in our female shubunkins -- about two months ago, and they're just starting to change colours [or at least, this one I photoed is]) larger babies! :heart Aren't they sweet?

fry0035qx.png

fry0021di.png

:heart So cute! Awwww  :heart   :lol: I bet you are one proud mommy!

384393[/snapback]

I am, I am! We thought we'd surely missed the breeding season this year 'cause we hadn't seen any eggs -- but apparently, we just missed them somewhere. :blink: They've definately passed through the system! I can't believe we've got babies!

I'm so gleeful!! :wub:

More pictures taken last night of the babies (honestly, we have such a range of sizes. My fish must be spawning like crazy!)...

fry0086qa.png

This lil guy is a lot smaller than the other one, probably only a month old {~~~~~} about that big!

0078zd.png

This one was about the same size as his brother up above (around two months old, I think, cause he's losing his darkness). I honestly think these little buggers are mixes between my male chocolate fantail and my two female shubunkins, but it's possible that (because I have other males, too) the other males have something to do with this too!

I guess only time can tell. I aligned the little one (above) in the picture with a picture of one of the possible shubunkin moms, and the dorsal fin is set in about proportion! So there's definately some shubunkin in the little ones.

I think I'm going to take several [probably not more than four] of the really tiny ones and put them in a small fry net in my big tank. I have frozen brine shrimp cubes that I used to raise my molly fry (of which only one survived -- almost all died before I got the net, I'm guessing because of chemical complications or sommat) -- would they eat those if I gave them small bits? I want to try raising the little ones! :D:heart

Archived