Fry Again!

OldHag

I found some fry in the pond a while ago, and my son want us to raise them. This time the father will be a red fish (Angus or MacFish)!

I don't know yet how many they are, but I guess 6 or 7. This time I'll keep them in Maxi's 10g box with airstone, change some water everyday and feed them brine shrimp. It's exciting to see if there will be any survivors. I even managed to get some pics!

100_1457.jpg

100_1456.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh, more fry, Annette!! Congratulations! Do they have the same mom? :happydance

Yes, Gullet is the mom of these too! I think they have a better start in this tank than Maxi and his "brothers" had so it's going to be exciting. Since I now know much more, that I have to be careful at cleaning time and such, I think (hope) that I'll have more survivors than one. Think they are 6-7 but it's hard to know since I don't see them all at the same time. They got plenty of space to hide (and grow)!

They live in the shallow end of the pond, hiding by the stones. I caught them with a spoon you take sauce with! :D It took me 2-3 hours, but there is more! Timmy is out on fry hunt right now, he want us to catch as many as possible.

I've got an over abundance of fry, too! I'd love to give it a try, raising them. Actually, now that I think about it, I *do* have a breeders net for small fry!! I could take several eeny weeny ones and put them in the breeders net -- what do you guys think?

Well, I raised my first batch in a breeding net and only one survived, Maxi. He has deformed gills. The net was very small.

This time I use a 10g tank. My son has caught more fry, so now I have 10-11 in that tank. :)

The fry has started to die on me :( , I had 15 but now they are only seven. Two of them are quite big, they have already grown. I can't find anymore fry in pond, guess it's been a cold night. :(

wow..they look great...from my experience, I thnk that abotu half of the fry will die naturally...but once they get to a certain size, they tend to thrive. I raised mines in a ten gallon tank that was cycled by older fish...so it was easier for me...wish you the best

He has grown a lot since the pic :D I guess he's about 7-8 cm long but he hasn't changed color yet! He's black on the back and has a silver belly! Here he is with the two red ones!

100_1400.jpg

But I've found more fry in the pond, quite big ones, and one of them looks like it has a double tail! It's to the left.

100_1502.jpg

Yeah!!! :krazy: more fry hunting

Maxi might stay that color forever....which would be cool...good luck with the new fry...I know that you will do well with your new fry...who do you think are the parents of the one with a double tail?

Well, I only have one female, Gullet the shubunkin, so I guess Monster is some kind of mutation. I found two deads :( today, one small and one of the big ones. Now there is only five left, here's a pic of four of them. Monster is the second at the right.

100_1522.jpg

Here is the fry tank from above.

100_1520.jpg

Monster is quite inactive, so I don't know if he'll survive, though. The water is kind of cold, about 19*C, because I change a lot. I thought they were used to it, since they came from a cold pond! What do you think, would it be better to use Gullets tank water rather than tap water?? It's not cycled yet but it's warmer, over 20*C, and it's salted and conditioned??

Grateful for all advices!

When I raised my frys,I had no filter for a month because I was afraid they'd get suck in it.But I did siphon uneaten food that collects at the bottom of the tank with a medicine dropper.Never really did a water change but,I added the same amount of water that I took out when I siphoned(temp matched/dechlored)They are very sensitive with their water quality so any drastic change might kill them :(

You've already set your sponge filter so I think you don't need to change water everyday.Since they are frys they don't produce that much waste so the water should be good as long as you're not overfeeding.I also used a heater set at 22*C but 19* is good as long as it's stable and doesn't fluctuate much.

Good luck with your fry Annette. Sorry you've lost some, but hopefully the rest will survive. Maxi looks so pretty. I can't believe how big he looks. Your big red ones are pretty to.

I wanted to try to raise some fry again, but just don't have the time to care for them.

So are they being agressive with maxi? If it looks agressive I'd bring him in.

I've taken Maxi inside, and he's just fine with his mom Gullet!

About the new fry, it's not going well. My monster fry with double tail died today.

Don't know what I did so wrong this time... :(

I'm sorry Annette. :cry1 Having fry is so exciting and then to see them die :crp That's one reason I haven't tried again. Maybe you'll at least have one survivor like Maxi.

Archived