Betta And Snail In A 2.7 Gal?

Kissy

Hi :)

I really want a snail, but my tanks that are big enough have spaces in the hood where one could slime out. I have a kritter keeper that measures to hold some place between 2.5 and 3 gallons ( I measured myself) and it houses a betta. I plan on gettin an internal filter soon, because I think my betta is really sensitive to ammonia...I'm not positive, but I've seen a correlation between just a tiny bit of ammonia and finrot (or tail biting..I haven't figured out which yet). With a good filter, could I keep a small snail such as a mystery or brig? I really would like a snail, and my water is perfect for one, but if the snail will contribute more ammonia than the filter and bio system can keep at 0 I don't want one, because I want the best for my betta. Thanks :)

Ammonia,in any amount is not good for any kind of fish or snail.In my opinion,I'd forget about the snail with a Betta in such a small tank.Snails can be dirty little things like our Goldies. Step up the water changes if you're getting ammonia readings. ;)

Guest mickey85

okay...here it is...

with a tank that small, you would want to be doing 100% weekly water changes. This isn't really the greatest for a snail, but the same could probably be achieved with more frequent smaller water changes. Also, you must make sure to research the kind of snail you want. the mystery snails are largely nocturnal and really need sand to thrive, which isn't the greatest for tiny systems like that. They are also hermaphroditic (can breed with themselves), and are very prolific. The same goes for ramshorns. you must also make sure that your betta is not a snail biter, because the larger snails will often be munched on by a belligerent betta.

As for the fin rot...what is your current maintenance routine as far as water changes, etc? When I was keeping male breeders in 2.5G's (had 4 of 'em on my dorm room desk...THAT was fun), I'd do 100% weekly water changes. They had small river rocks for gravel and weighted silk plants. None of them were filtered.

The thing you run into with a tank that small is, unless you want to go with an external filter that holds more water, you run into problems keeping the system stable. This is why betta keepers reccomend just doing 100% water changes weekly on anything smaller than 5 gallons. 5 USG seems to be the magic mark. I've kept 5 gallons filtered and healthy, but anything under that has always been hit-or-miss for me.

sorry, that seems like a really long answer for a really short, easy question.

Nah thanks for the extended version :) I didn't know mystery snails needed sand or could reproduce by themselves! Its very interesting :) With my betta, I do a 50% water change every two days to keep ammonia at zero. Thats a ton of work, and its part of the reason why I am going to buy a small filter and get the tank nice and cycled. I'm just going to keep my betta by himself. Thanks for the replies!

Most Snails that are sold under the term"Mystery Snails",are usually from the Apple Snail Family.Not only do they Not need sand,they need another partner of the opposite sex to mate.My Apple Snails are moving around during the day as much as they move around at nite! :lol: I think that's a wise choice to just have your Betta in thee Kissy.Good luck!

Guest mickey85

picture.jpg

This is what I'm thinking of when I say mystery snail. THey get to be about 1/2" long and are very obnoxious. you can't crush them, and they're to hard to be eaten by any fish, but they do aerate the substrate very well. They are diggers, which is why I said to go with sand for the substrate with these guys. go into any pet store that sells aquatic plants and you'll see these dudes everywhere. they lay eggs on plants, then the plants get shipped off and the LFS and your tank gets a snail infestation. it's almost inevitable.

BTW, good luck on the cycling.

If you take everything out, it holds 3 gallons. I promise. I dumped three full one-gallon jugs into it before I told you it was a 3-gallon. :D

I've had nothing but bad luck with the betta-snail combo, but I didn't know much about fish when I had that setup. Still, I wouldn't do it, so keeping Orchard alone seems like a good deal to me.

Theonly thinng I might keep with a betta in that small of a home, would maybe be a small ram or some sort....a red ram or black ram...they are easy to spot the eggs, so you can dispose of that, plus they dont take up much space :)

I have always had good luck with bettas and snails...no antenna nippers or anything with the 4 bettas ive had...

Before i knew anything, I kept my first betta in a half gallon kritter keeper with my big old Speedy....Ive never had a snail escape so many times....she was big then, but huge once i moved her outta there! the betta was scared of her!

Kortinee, I know it can hold 3 gallons :) It sits on the top of the back of my couch. If it is 3 gallons full it spills everywhere when I need to move it, but if I fill it a bit less then its fine :) Its a great home for Orchard too...I just realized I haven't gotten a full pick of how the tank looks with him in it! *swipes parent's camera and runs upstairs*

Pshew. I was beginning to think I was going crazy or something.

Yeah... I wanna see the pics of how you have it set up and stuff. And good luck with that extra bout of fin rot. Tell Orchard I said hi. :D

Archived