Koi/shabunken

Lynn

Shabunkins are long and leaner and usually tri colored with red/orange, white and blue/black. They are always tri colored (at least all the ones I"ve every seen). Koi are much wider in the mid section and as they get older grow barbels (I think they are called) by their mouths. Koi get much bigger and come in many colors and patches of color.

koi actually have barbels from the time their born.

Koi look like common goldfish from the side, but their heads are bigger and shaped... differently. The mouths are also different. I'll try and get a decent shot of my poor, giant, overcrowded babies this evening to show. Koi are also a bit more... streamlined? ... they're not quite as deep in the body as Shubies are.

There's a lot more to their girth that there is to shubies. Again, they look almost exactly like common goldies in regard to conformation.

Koi also come in the tri-color so that's no help. You're more likely to find Shubunkin's with long tails that are vastly different in appearance from butterfly koi.

I'll keep trying to find some image comparisons for you.

*pics of my babies from above (not the pics I'll try and get later)*

http://shinoarnii.tripod.com/kyounichi.html

http://shinoarnii.tripod.com/currentyuki.html

:huh: But do Shubunkins come in just white and red. I have three that are this colors and they are the one I think are not Subunkins. :lol1 See I learn how to spell Shubunkins and what my ( what I thought was red caps ) are called Oranda. I not sure I am saying it right, but I am spelling it right. :rofl

Shubunkins are calicos. Always red and black and white.

I have a goldie that is white, with a red patch on his head and one on his back, but I'm not sure what he's called either. >.<

Archived