Black Moore

JDMac2006

i just changed my food to marineland bio blend for goldfish and my 3 other fish love it but my black moore doesn't see it, i guess since they are so prone to having bad eyesight, i dropped a few in front of his face and still didn't see them and a couple landed on his head and he looked for them but he couldn't see them, what should i do?

Guest melanippe

My black moor (although fairly bronze these days) seems to not have any of the problems you are discussing. Mine has gotten pretty big though; does that help?

Hmmm...Is that a common problem among black moors? Sometimes Atilla (fairly bronze also! :) ) acts like she can't see her food, despite the fact it's right by her face! :( Believe me though, she finds it!! Keep me posted on what works!

Guest melanippe

I have a black moor and a Panda moor and they seem to have zero trouble finding food. Maybe they were pigs in a previous lifetime. My Panda Moor is hard to photo..real active........but my guys are listed by KoKo in the photo area.

I have two black moors and two calicos. The calicos and one moor have no problem eating - they are pigs. The other moor does not seem to see the food either, but he is growing just like the others so I would say he eats too. I don't hang out and watch them eat since I feed them in the morning when I am getting ready for work. I also put flakes all over so I am sure he finds some on the bottom throughout the day that the others missed. I do know they have a killer since of smell. I can't get them to eat out of my hand yet, but when I put bloodworms or shrimp in my hand and then in the tank they go mad trying to find it!

You could try to just make sure that the other two fish are eating and not paying attention while you're feeding him...so as not to steal the food he initially misses. Instead of feeding him right off your finger, you could wait till he sees the food on your finger over the water, and swims up to you (maybe you fish doesn't do this though?), and drop the food right before he reaches the surface. My little guy is guaranteed to get the food that way.

It seems like it would be really stressful to always move him to feed him, so I'd try and figure some other way to make sure he gets his share. Maybe you could get him a floating food? Mine tends to do better with things that float (like blood worms).

Good luck, I hope you figure out something that works!

i finally caught him twards the bottom of the tank so i fed the pellets to my other three fish on one side of the tank so they would leave his alone, and fed him some so that they sank right by him and he found them! i was so releived to seem to see him eat them maybe he's getting the idea now!

i thought i'd give a little update for any who may be following this topic, my black moore (whose name is plankton if i haven't already mentioned it) seems to be doing ok, im guessing that the new food must be doing him some good, he does not seem to be staying at the top of the tank near as much and he isn't swimming crooked very much anymore, i still feed as normal and i guess he is getting food, i haven't beed watching as closely, my guess is that he is getting any food, that is missed by the others, that is on the bottom of the tank he also gets a lot of the algea that i scrape off the side of the tank, that's about it, i'll keep everyone posted :D

Guest melanippe

My "black" well now bronze moor is so large; I'm considering if I need to sell him. Or take him back to the fish store & trade in for a smaller one. :huh: He has like so outgrown everyone else! Even in a 49 gal tank with a panda moor and a calico oranda and one little plecos

Archived