Sign in to follow this  
Guest becky

You'll Never Believe What I Found In My Gf Mouth

Guest becky

I went out of town on Monday afternoon and returned Thursday night. My sister looked in on my fish and feed them on Wednesday.

Today I noticed one of my commons (Gomer) had been spending alot of time under a plant. Upon closer inspection his mouth had that stuck open look like he was sucking gravel.

I caught him with my hand and his mouth was automatically wide open. I had a flashlight and peered inside. I could see something, but it was fairly deep. I put him back in the tank and got a pair of tweezers. I caught him again and carefully inserted the tweezers in his mouth. I was afraid they would not fit, but they did (barely). I was also afraid I would snag his tongue or something (do fish have tongues?). But I didn't.

Anyway, first time I got it. I slowly pulled it out. It kept coming and coming. What on earth? OMG OMG OMG. It was a cockroach!!!!!!

I felt so bad for him. Gross! I have no idea how long he had been like that. Of course to soothe him I gave him some pro-gold and he gobbled it down.

His fins are clamped, but I hope he will be ok. Hopefully there was no pesticides on the gross roach that he unbelievably ate.

Edited by becky

Guest becky

It was about 0.5 inches. Huge when you compare it to Gomer who is about 3 inches including his tail!

That is really gross, poor Gomer I hope he recovers from his experience.

Aw poor guy! Glad you got that out, ew, I can't imagine what a shock that must have been for you.

eww....I hate cockroaches!I'm glad you got it out...I bet he was sooo relieved :D

Ohhh, that's disgusting. Poor Gomer, he must be traumatized. It must have been hard for you with the whole tweezer thing. I'm lucky, where I live there is no cockroaches. I've seen pics of those things, man that's gross. I'm sure he'll do okay :)

darn...pooor thing...im also one of those ppl who hate cockroaches!!

im just glad you got that out of his system :D

wow..that was strange...I hope that GOMER will be okay...keep a close watch on him for the next week...I am glad that I dont have any cockraoach, they are nasty lil things. But I do have an occassional silver fish that show up but I normally see them before it get in the tank.

Oh poor Gomer. I have never seen a cockroach and I hope I never do, especcilly not in my goldfish's throat. It's so good you got it out, I would never have been that brave!

Guest becky

Gomer seems much better this morning (duh, there is not a huge cockroach in his throat). His fins are back up.

The roach was dead! I probably would have flung the poor fish across the room if that thing had been alive!

For those of you who live in Texas it was what we call a "waterbug". They grow to be giant (3-4 inches) and FLY! Really, really horrible creatures. This one, at 0.5 inches was obviously just a babe.

I occasionally will find one belly up in the house somewhere, never alive. Thats why I worried about it having insecticide on it. So far, so good though.

ICKY...Glad to hear he's doing better...Kepp up the good work!

Gross, absolutely. But probably not harmful to your fish. Actually insects are a good source of protien but I wouldn't recommend it as a food for goldfish!!

Where I live we call them Palmetto bugs and in some places you see them just running all over the place outside. I can't imagine where someone would have to live not to see them...somewhere cold, maybe?

I'm glad your fish is okay. He was probably a little disappointed he didn't get to eat the roach, though.

OMG! That is horrible! I'm with you though about if it were alive..I wouldn't have been able to control myself...it would have hit the oppisite wall! I hate cockroaches, but I'm glad gomer seems to be doing better... :heart

Oh!!!! Grim!!!!

Hope Gomer fully recovers from his ordeal.

Slugger :)

Guest becky

Gomer seems to be just fine. I put a slice of banana in the tank this morning and I think Gomer ate all of it! The other two fish did not seem to know what to do with it but he just chowed down. We know that he will eat anything, and hopefully that will take the "roach" taste out of his mouth. :rofl

I have seen a thread that Toothless (I think) feeds his gf crickets (I think), but he removes the heads so they can't bite the gf on the way down! Insects do make good protein, but they need to be the right size so as not to get stuck in the throat! And preferably not an insect that makes your skin crawl. :krazy:

Guest deedeesue

:rofl

That is truely the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

Im glad Gomer is OK :D

That IS a good thing you found it before it could do any damage to your fish. Waterbugs are prety darn strong and have seriously sharp appendages. Heres a pic for good measure:

water_beetle.jpg

there are MANY varieties of waterbeetles. Almost all of them have a really hard shell and pointy legs. They are VERY strong and can actually do some damage to the inside of a fish if it were swallowed whole.

Can you believe that they eat these things in other countries like china?

You did good with those tweezers. if you ever have probs removing anything else, remember that you can take a bobbypin, fold it striaght and put a little hook on the end. then manuever the hook behind the object and pull it out. ;)

Paul