Will He Ever Be The Same Again?

Athena

Hi guys. My betta, Little Devs, finrot has cleared up finally. Now, I'm just wondering what I can do to encourage fin regeneration. His top fin was so bad that about 95% of it was gone. It seems to be slowly growing back or maybe that's my imagination. Will he ever get his flowing fins back and how long will it take? :(

Currently he's in a 10 gallon tank by himself and he is on his second round of Melafix.

I've read that for bettas, you should use less than half the salt you would use for a goldie.

My goldie had tail rot really bad, more than half of his tail was gone, that was 3 weeks ago and its slowly coming back. Not sure how to help a Betta though.

Guest Chishower

It really depends on the betta. I have a betta who is fine and dandy in a .3% solution, and I have a betta that can't take a .1% solution.

Try 1/2 teaspoon per gallon to start, and have fresh water there to put him in incase he has trouble with it.

I do notice though that Little Devs has a lot of strength but he gets tired quickly because he doesn't have all of his fins. I guess that's why I'm hoping that his fins regenerate more. I'm still a little uneasy about the salt thing. Hmmm I just don't know what to do :(

Well too add, my guy is a tail bitter so it's much like rot. He's stopped and there is regrowth, but I did go with salt and he does well with it. *Most* bettas can and do re-grow their fins, pristine water levels and such will make it go much faster. Salt works on some bettas and doesn't on others, it's really a good thing to try but if you feel uncomfortable doing so medications work just as good. Fin regrowth can come back unevenly and in new ray lengths, so it;s really hard to say if he will come back exactly as he looked or if he will have some new look.

:) Just want to add that when my Betta lost all his fins,they did grow back almost to the normal length,but it took a while for that to happen.Don't ask me how long though-because my Memory is awful. :rolleyes: So there is a good chance! :)

Orchard had some really bad fin rot a few weeks ago. His tail has grown at least 2 cm since and still growing. I haven't added anything to the water; no salt or melafix.

yes, bettas can recover! heres some dated stories:

http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.php?boa...;threadid=33324

http://www.petfish.net/forum/index.php?boa...;threadid=32769

and theres one i cant find about a male betta named Cooper who jumped into a female tank and was... well.... munched. and he's healing wonderfully. just keep up with clean water and they usually do fine... i have a guy who's tail was accidently cut off, and while i cant see any improvement yet, he's still alive.. and not TO stressed

Archived