Sign in to follow this  
Sorsha

How Soon Do Gf Breed?

Hello all!

I recently bought a blue scaled oranda and I do not know if he is a he or a she... BUT while watching it today I noticed these spots on the side of its head near its gills. They almost look the same color as it but they are itty bitty.. i stare really closely. AND there is a fine line of those same looking little spots on the front fins. It cant be very old since its Wen has barely even formed at all, its body is maybe 3" long and its tail is about 2". I have another GF in there, a calico fantail which the oranda seems to enjoy following and occassionally chasing. It too is only about 3" in body length. I've read that they dont usually breed until they are older and ive also read that they will breed as early as being only 4" long, but unsuccessfully?

I'm not sure if these are those breeding spots or if its something i need to medicate for? It is swimming around beautifully with all fins held really high and has quite the voracious apetite.

Unfotunately I can not post pictures until maybe next week.. i'd have to borrow a camera. :( But ill appreciate any advice you can give me :)

Thank you all so much!

it seems that your blue scaled oranda is indeed a male. Keep a watch on him and see how he interact with your fantail. I'm not sure if there is a specific age taht goldfish mate, but when they mature to the point, they will do what comes natural

the spots havent gotten any bigger, and ill assume hes a he ;) but he keeps in close contact with my fantail often times, too close for her comfort LOL. they interact well though and she seems a little thicker. Since ive gotten my blue hes gotten darker coloring, im sure thats from better nutrition though. He has only been in the tank for about 3 days. but i will definetly keep a close eye on the two. Breeding GF is something I never really thought about... I wouldnt know what to do with all the little fry... if there are fry...ill have to start asking friends I suppose later on if they would like one. :D have to answer all sorts of questions tho...

do you have any plants or areas for the fish to spawn with if they are ready? ANd ask as many questions as you need. Glad that they are getting along though. :D

I have artificial plants... what real ones would you recommend? all the ones i used to buy ended up in shreds around my filter basket lol!

oh, and sometimes my little girl seems kinda tired. like... she will raise and sink for a bit like a rest i suppose then continue on picking up the pebbles. i guess this is normal?

Well, congratulations on your new fish, Sorsha - he sure sounds like he is a beauty... :heart

And yes, it is normal for a female to get tired if chased by a male over a longer period of time. If she can't espace the male at all, you might wonna consider a floating basket in the tank - you can put either the male or the female inside of it. Its whole purpose is to separate the two, and give the female a rest... :)

I bought some Borneo Swords at the store yesterday and i planted them today in a kind of circle like way so that hopefully she will like the broad leaves. :) Does anyone know how long the process takes before she will lay eggs? The male has recently started rubbing his nose on her sides and her belly alot as well. I think this is a good sign? Anyone have hints on plants?

I am not sure how long it takes for the female to lay the eggs, but if the males is "sniffing" after her, I suppect that it will not be lond...I have some amazon swords in my tank...They have started to eat tehm as well...lol...I dont think any plant is safe from goldfish...lol :rofl

lol! So far she has tugged at them, but not managed to actually tear any of it!!! This is the first time i didnt buy the plants out of the tanks that they have at the fish stores, it was in this weird gel. but the plant looked 100 times healthier than any in the tank!

Well heres an update!

My blue fishy has more obvious stars now! and my calico has taken to hiding in the plants. She is cute rounded now, so im hoping itll all happen soon!