Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Boy Or Girl

:blink: Ok, someone explain how to tell a male from a female. I have read a few things but I just don't see any difference. Is there an easy way to tell? :huh:

What type of fish do you have?

It is easier when they are larger than 4 inches, but sometimes you can tell before then.

Look at the anus, if it "puckers" out then it is most likely a girl. If it is smooth then it is most likely a boy.

You can sometimes tell by breeding stars on the pectoral fins. Look along the edge, often you can see little white dots. That will mean it is a boy that is "ready" for love.

in addition to what Laurie as said....a lot of times the males are a little slimmer than the females.

The breeding stars have been the way I have always been able to tell. I was blessed with mostly boy goldfish so it became pretty obvious to me, LOL! They get more stars and they become more pronounced at the height of breeding time. Some of mine would get them on the front rays of the pectorals but also all over their heads! It looked like a horrible outbreak of ich. Its very strange but the first time you see it you'll know.

I also read that aswell as what has already been posted....the femal anus will pucker and is rounder then a male..they more oval shaped

hope that helps

Also,

If a female is producing eggs you can see from above one side of her abdomen will be a little bit more swollen than the other side, and another thing, the first ray/spine of the female's anal fin (or fins if you've got fantails) will tend to be a bit thicker, but the first ray/spine of her pectoral fins will be a little less thick, this is not always obvious, but if you look for all the other pointers like the shape of the cloaca (anal/egg opening) and the lack of breeding tubercles, also having certified males in the tank that are showing their 'coming of age' spots, they will often follow females around the tank 'bullying' and sticking their noses up near the females rear end.

But even still, the best way to be 100% sure a fish is a female is if she drops eggs.

Laurie, you asked what kind of fish: I have an Oranda, 2 Ryukins & 3 Fantails.

Big Boy (boy??) is the biggest (oranda, body about the length of my index finder (3 inches) Next biggest Sash, a Ryukin maybe 1 1/2 " the rest get smaller to the smallest fantail is probably 1 inch .

Edited by Jeana727

Can you tell the differences in anyones anus's? What an odd question to ask..........huh. :ignore:tomuch:

:lol1 at laurie....how reliable is the anus of goldies?

:lol1 Can you imagine someone just surfing the net and running across THIS!! :rofl

Even funnier is ME trying to look at a fish anus!!!!! (Then even worse......I STILL HAVE NO IDEA!!!) :krazy:

I looked at my goldies butts too...still a little confused....glad I know who is what

To Tazz, How reliable is a golfishes anus?

-Pretty reliable if you've been feeding 'em peas! But I don't think that's what you mean :rofl

naw, it wasn't but funny :lol1 @ Tosakin in Oz

My goldies laid more eggs on sunday..they hatched this morning