Help With Setting Up New Tank!

Athena

Hi guys!

I'm trying to figure out what to put into a 6 gallon tank with one betta. It's a gift for my friend's little boy. I really want an active tank with some variety. Any suggestions?

Maybe some cories? They aren't the prettiest things and aren't extremely active, but they are cute! (I'd compare the activity level to a betta. I've only seen them in shops, but I plan on getting a few soon)Bettas usually get along with them very well. They're bottomish dwelling mini catfish that like friends, so I think three would be a good number if you've got a filter :) Without a filter I'm not really sure what else you can keep. Another idea would be african dwarf frogs or snails. With tetras, make sure you get the smallest variety, like neons, black neons, rummy nose, etc as opposed to the larger varieties like black skirts. Smaller will be better in the tank, and they are much less prone to nip.

:) I only have one Betta now that's mixd in a Community tank.He's with Cories/Bristlenoses/One Female Blue Gourami/and a ton of Apple Snails. From what I've seen,he's fine with them.I have to say that I've raised him from an egg in a Bubble Nest though. As for the rest of my Betta's,they are all down to being alone.Truthfully,I haven't tried a bottom dwelling fish with them yet,but I have tried ADF"S,and other fish,and my Betta's would not leave them alone.They seem much happier alone. I have a couple in a few bigger tanks,and I am still considering Cories. By the way, All my Cories are extremely active,and very pretty.There are many many types of Cories with different color's and markings on them. Not all Cories are considered plain. Not all Betta's are the same. I have some that are in Bigger tanks alone,and are very active. I also have a few that prefer just to "chill".Don't judge a Betta by it's Cover. :lol:

i wouldnt recomend a gourami just because of the territory...

Cories are wonderful :) i have had a few, and they are just adorable, and VERY active! i think a pair of like albino cories and a betta would be a fun tank!

or, as said, some neons. wouldnt do anything bigger then a neon though, they tend to nip the bigger they get.

Guest Abrienna

Sorry to jack this thread, but I'll give it right back. Would 4.5 gallons be enough for a betta and two cories? Probably not... :(

I would also reccommend getting plants real or fake for your betta they seem to like the security of a hiding place. I got a floating water lettuce plant for my betta and he loves it or well did untill it died because I have no green tumb whatsoever but anyway your betta would definatly love some plants!

Plants plants plants! I love plants and so do fish. Watter lettuce is so pretty...maybe you didn't have enough lighting maceo? They need TONS of light. I can't have plants because I'm too broke lol

i wouldnt do cories and a betta in a 4.5 unless you did pygmy cories. regos- like albinos and julii's get almost 3 inches... but if you can find pygmies, they only get 1 inch :D

Guest Code4Fish

I wouldnt put Cories in I have had bad luck with them attacking the bettas tail I would agree with tinkerbell that Tetra are a great choice they are really pretty and really quick plus they are great with any type of other fish that you put them with...they are people people...lol

Guest 2 lil fancies

I have 3 albino cories in with my betta (they've only been together 48 hours tho lol!

They all seem to get on quite well.

We've got a piece of bogwood in there for the cories and a lava rock for hidy holes. Tai (the betta) hides behind all of these and the filter, he also likes to play in the plants.

Thanks for the warning about the cories...i'll keep a watch on them, good job i have a mini tank spare if needed.

T

Archived