Hand Spawning?

Guest babylionhead

Guest babylionhead

I recently fell in love raising goldfish. I have succesfully raised frys. Now I want to learn to hand spawn. Can anyone tell me how to hand spawn my fishies? How Effective is Hand Spawning....100% all the eggs will be fertilized? Cause when they spawn naturally alotta eggs does not get fertilezed and it breaks my heart to see all those eggs gone bad!!!!

Babylionhead!!!

Hand spawning is a very delicate thing, and not to be tried lately if you haven't had much experience with it.

Some things to remember - female eggs are only "open" for male milt for a short period of time, before they close up and stick together. And I am talking seconds here. Females' internal organs can get damaged very easily from hand spawning, if you do it wrong or with too much pressure. Same thing with the male.

Here is a very interesting article on how to do it correctly.... :)

Hand spawning tips from Rick Hess

I can't stress it enough - careful, careful, careful!.... Let us know if it worked out... :)

Guest babylionhead
Hand spawning is a very delicate thing, and not to be tried lately if you haven't had much experience with it.

Some things to remember - female eggs are only "open" for male milt for a short period of time, before they close up and stick together. And I am talking seconds here. Females' internal organs can get damaged very easily from hand spawning, if you do it wrong or with too much pressure. Same thing with the male.

Here is a very interesting article on how to do it correctly.... :)

Hand spawning tips from Rick Hess

I can't stress it enough - careful, careful, careful!.... Let us know if it worked out... :)

373899[/snapback]

Thanks Ranchu Girl For The Information on the website that u just provided me with. Actually hand spawning I think I will need to try it next year since all my % females goldfish already Spawned.....I will be keeping you inform on how all the goldies doing....Thanks to all of you....

Baby lionhead

You are welcome! Actually, most professional breeders do it, to assure that the eggs are really fertilized from the desired male, and not some accidental spawning with some "not so perfect" male.

But for pure purpose of the fun of it, I'd rather say try the natural way....