Blue Ram?

jujubee2

Guest Luke Anderson

I don't have an answer about the ram, however i felt i should tell you that once your angels mature they will most likely eat all your neons :unsure:

If your pleco is the common variety it can attack your angel just as they can attack goldfish :cry1

btw what size tank is this?

i wouldt worry about the neons, because what most people dont see is that neons can growww, and they do grow bigger than the angels mouths so no problem :) , again not such a problem with the plec as they seem different with trops to goldfish, and it seems the only time they will take a fish is when they are starved..... feed them and you have no problems, as for the ram i beleive they are cichlids, although they are one of the few peacefull cichlids, they require a fairly soft accidic water and are very sensitive fish though.

Kev :)

Guest Luke Anderson

Most neons are easily eaten by adult angels, sorry but thats a fact.

Common plecos DO NOT discriminate between goldfish and other fish, when they want some fresh protein. If the fish are much smaller than the pleco however the plec can't physicly laych on to them very easily, so small fish like neons are fine with common plecs, but goldfish angels discus and any other medium to large fish are not.

its no fact m8, trust me..... im not gunna argue about it. a full grown neon will just NOT fit into an angels mouth.....again. its the same as with the plecs, i dont feed them....... they find food themselves...

same way u can keep a shark in community tanks, feed them well and they dont touch a single fish in the tank, no matter the size of the fish...

Guest Luke Anderson

A neon does not need to be able to fit in the mouth of an angel to be eaten. I have seen many of them bit in half at my uncles house (he has a 90 gallon tropical tank with angels neons and corys) :cry1 . The neons were all completely grown (he had them in a 20 gallon tank for a 1 1/2 years then moved them to the 90). As of now only 2 neons are left of of 15 that he put in there 2 months ago :cry1 .

You are just being lucky with your pleco, and others may also, but there is such a high chance of something happening eventually i strongy suggest nobody keep the two together when the angels are large enough for the plecostomus to latch on to.

ok so ill give u there IS a chance, but its deffinetly not a high one ! its extremely slim.... keep a varied high protien diet, including live or frozen foods and the chance are next to none, at work i got 3 plecos all half grown in with the tin foil barbs, some catfish, some sharks and some angels all in the display tank, and those ones are the most risky as they dont get fed a lot of variety !, but still tha chances are not high,

alot of people bring plecs back to the store, this 19 out of 20 times being they have out grown their tanks, not that they have become aggressive.

fair enough u may have seen it happen in your uncles tank, what does he feed them ?, the angels naturally would in the wild, but keep them well fed and the chances are low.

i see your point, and it CAN happen, but i dont agree that the chances are high, thats all.

Guest Luke Anderson

ok i give up i am not going to argue any more i have set my ideas on the table so take them if you choose...

But to answer your question on what he feeds his angels:

omega one tropical flakes, 2 kinds of hikari pellets, the whole hikari line of frozen foods, wardley algae wafers, and occasional fresh veggies.

Also to answer why it is that he keeps those neons in with his angels if they are being eaten:

He does not care about the neons, he was given them and did not buy them himself. I know he seems cruel, but he really isn't he just doesn't feel that it is all that bad if the neons get eaten. He is not going to replace them when they are all gone.

I just wanted to jump in and say that full grown neons will most likely not fit in an angelfish's mouth. They get about 2 inches long and also are very fast. Ive seen lots of neons kept in angel/discus tanks with no problems at all. I will vouch for the pleco though. Siamese/chinese algae eaters do the same thing!

As for the blue ram you should have no problems. Here is a good page I found with lots of possible tankmates: http://www.angelfire.com/tx/CichlidPimp/Tankmates.html

They are a cichlid (like angels) and are a very peaceful cichlid. They are beautiful fish, I hope you decide to get some. The dwarf cockatoo cichlids are also really pretty. :)

Hey all! Thanks so much for the advice! I ended up trying with a blue ram, but I had to return him because my angel fish was aggressive towards him:(. My tank is a 15 gallon hex (which the guy at my lfs said was too small for an angel fish) which is the reason he's moody towards new comers... although, for the neons and the plec, I've had no problems with them. My angelfish is big and he doesn't mind the neons (which are pretty big) and the plec just keeps to himself.. although, I find it odd that the angelfish leaves the neons alone and doesn't like any other fish I add to the tank... anyways, I've given up on finding friends for my angel fish until I get a bigger tank, it'd probably be overstocked anyways :( ah well, thanks guys for the advice:) I miss my blue ram though, he was a fun fishie:)

~jujubee

sorry to hear that :( , the problem with angel fish is once they settle in somewhere, they settle in with what is already there, and anything else u try to add afterwards its going to hassle it for a while, even if its another angelfish :( its just the way they are unfortunatly, one way around it is to have a BIG move around in the tank, and then add the new fish, and hopefully they all settle down before dominance is regained :) , but with such a small tank this may not be possible, but it sure will when u get a bigger one :)

godd luck for the future,

Kev

If I remember right the blue ram is a cichlid but is peaceful, I think he won't be compatible with angels. But its been a long time since I had tropicals. I know the angels will eat the or kill the neons. :cry1

Archived